Cardinals in corner

Jerseyspecv
Hey everyone I was just wondering if it was normal for cardinal fish to hang out near the bottom in the corner?

all tests are normal temperature at 77 degrees F

they are currently the only fish in the tank and are coming out to eat but retreat quickly after finishing

Annadvn
Yeah, that's pretty normal for cardinals.

Over time they might come out more and with other fish, but I believe they are nocturnal (someone correct me if I am wrong) so you won't see them out much during the day.

The good thing is that they are eating, they can be picky eaters when first introduced into the aquarium.

Anna

Elodea
Is your tank well planted? It might help if it is, that gives cardinals a sense of security (kinda like angelfish). Or you can get away with a lot of plastic plants.

ATP
how long have they been in the tank?

Lucy
Elodea said:
Is your tank well planted? It might help if it is, that gives cardinals a sense of security (kinda like angelfish). Or you can get away with a lot of plastic plants.
I'm not sure you realized, this is in the Saltwater section of the forum. I'm not a Salty, but I'm pretty sure they don't have planted tanks.
I had to double check the forum it was in, myself. lol
Sorry if I'm mistaken about this.

crazedACD
How many do you have? If they are all doing it together and eating well I would guess they are OK. In my limited experience, the ones I've seen mostly hung out in the open water though, not hiding at all...not sure if that is typical though. I know I had three at work, and one started "falling away" from the others and started hiding/sitting in the corner, and he did pass away..but if all of yours are doing it I wouldn't be overly worried.

Sorry I'm not overly helpful, hopefully someone will come along with a bit more experience.

Jerseyspecv
they have been in there for 3 days... one will kinda come out and venture but one I move he will jump back into the corner. one is deffinatly more confident in cominmg out than the other so for right now not sure but I keep you updated

Jerseyspecv
so after feeding them this morning and them eating fine I came home to this terrible site... it wasn't my serpant star because he is still under his rock I can see him arms and this fella was being scavenged by hermit crabs... anyone have ideas

586.jpg

freak78
Somrtime's it can take a bit for tetra's to adjust to there new tank. My 6 rummynose tetra's took 2 week's before they were all over the tank.

ATP
freak78 said:
Somrtime's it can take a bit for tetra's to adjust to there new tank. My 6 rummynose tetra's took 2 week's before they were all over the tank.
the fish jerseyspecv is showing are not tetras. They're banggaI caridanl fish (not cardinal tetras) from saltwater that usually lives in magroves by the ocean.

ATP
Jerseyspecv said:
so after feeding them this morning and them eating fine I came home to this terrible site... it wasn't my serpant star because he is still under his rock I can see him arms and this fella was being scavenged by hermit crabs... anyone have ideas

585.jpg
What's your water parameters?
ATP,

Jerseyspecv
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
amonia 0
pH 8.1
salinity 1.23
temp 77
and now a snail has died?
its weird because I was told that the serpant star would be my so called canary in a cage

ATP
snails will die over time. Either one, they fell backwards and couldn't get themselvs on their feet again so they suffocate to death or something ate them. Mine always fell bakcwards and die because I dedn't notice them until too late.

Actually, I've never had a banggaI that lived for over 2 weeks either. My problem was because I was keeping them in a very high flow tank with SPS and they're the fish that doesn't want any flow.

ATP,

Jerseyspecv
ohhh ok I do have a lot of flow in my tank and they are in the corner where flow is at the slowest... behind the powerheads behind the rocks... that could be a reason but the one is still going strong

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom