Cardinals and neons

1. Nut-meg Member Member

Cards and neons will school together, right? I am considering what to do with a 20g that I have. How many of these fish would you put in a 20g? I'd like to have a good school, but maybe room for one other centerpiece fish or something. Maybe.

Suggestions welcome.

:;dogrun <---- This reminds me of my dog Peanut, if it was yellow.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

No, they won't. Neons occupy the lower half, and cardinals in the upper half.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Two diff fish, they may interact nicely but they do not always school together as a group. Now that being said each fish has its own mind so some may split up and play nice but as a general rule they wont.

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Different species, different habits. No, they will not school.

How about a school of neons and maybe a dwarf powder blue gourami. That would really make the tank pop.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Rainbows are the only kind of fish I've kept that will actually school with other species. but they are not suitable for your tank.

6. Nut-meg Member Member

That's funny. I'd been told they would school together. Glad I asked.

Okay, so lets say I get a school of neons. How many can I have and can anyone suggest a different single or couple of fish that could go with them nicely, preferably something that provides a visual contrast.

Or perhaps a different kind of school

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Hey, I know, how about a school of neons and a dwarf powder blue gourami?

You know, that sounds really familiar...... oh yeah, maybe because I suggested it a few posts ago..... ;D

8. Nut-meg Member Member

sorry I somehow missed it. I would be willing to try that. But I did have a gourami like that and it died very quickly. People at the time told me that gourami sometimes do. I could try it again though, and acclimate it better this time. I just don't want to overstock.