Cardinal tetra's

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so I recently started stocking my tank (55gallon). Added 10 cardinal tetras and through the first night 8 survived.
    Day two 6/8 schooled very tightly while the other two just stay in a patch of wisteria. No one has eaten yet either.
    Day three I can't find the two that hid in the wisteria anywhere. No remains anywhere. I looked around the tank and they haven't jumped out either (maybe the others ate them?).
    Another interesting thing I noticed is that when the lights go off the cardinals tend to find their own sleeping spots to chill for the night. Is this normal?

2. celizabethh3 Member Member

Is this an established tank? Do you know the water parameters?

If cardinals are anything like neons (as far as how they've been raised), they aren't hardy fish. I kept a small school of neons about a year ago and all it took was a single water change to wipe them out. Is there any caves or decorations the missing two could be hiding under?

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Fully fishless cycled last week. Ammo 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10ish
    PH 7.6 (LFS is 7.4)

No deco they can be hiding in that I haven't looked in/under.

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Cardinal tetras are beautiful fish that are being run into the ground by rampant inbreeding. They're going to do best when they're introduced to an established tank.

5. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

What about not schooling at lights out is that normal?

6. celizabethh3 Member Member

I think it's normal that they don't school when the lights are out. I've read that when they feel safe or secure, they don't school as tightly. There's even a recent thread on this site that talks about fish (specifically tetras I believe?) losing their colour while they sleep. I have a small school of black and white skirts and they don't school that often. :)

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

That indeed is quite notmal. Cardinals like acidic warm water and can get in PH-shock when not acclimatized properly. Try to let some food sink slowly. They are midwaterfeeders !!! Still think these are great fish !!

8. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Well this is good to know