Cardinal tetras dying

1. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay so this afternoon I got 11 cardinal tetras. Drip acclimated them for 2hrs and proceeded to but them into the tank with lights off. Left and went fishing for awhile got home around 10pm and I went and turned my moonlight on. Then I ate dinner and went to go watch my new fish.
    I started to count them and I only got 9. Two were missing so I start looking around and one is floating ontop dead while the other is dead under my wisteria.
    So trying to figure this out I tested my water and my results were:
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrite
    10 nitrAtes
    7.6 Ph

Should I just chalk this out to them being new and weak? Or is something wrong? All the other tetras are zipping around the tank and some are playing in the filter outtake swimming up and down.

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I wanted cardinals for a long time , and still do because they are so pretty. I did a lot of research on them and everything to get some knowledge in about them. What I learned was that they are VERY sensitive and a 100% servival rate is almost unheard of bringing these guys home. Tons of people on here helped me out by telling me their experiences and most were bad, they lose some, buy more, lose a couple more, buy some more ect.

If you really want these guys just be patient :) you will have some that survive and thrive.

Are there any physical signs of illness on these fish?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

No signs of illness that I can see. They maybe been in the tank for 8 hrs tops. Also the dead ones have there red stripe while the ones in the tank have lost a lot of the red strip (hoping this is just stress) and will change tomorrow after feeding

Update:
    Read that they lose their stripe at night that's interesting!!!

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea if the light is off their stripe will fade but come back :) it is interesting lol

Hopefully you wont lose anymore and you have a healthy bunch. Keep an eye on their activity and colors.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

They are very sensitive guys but I have had a dozen successfully now for 1 + years.
    One batch I got ALL got ICH after a few days in QT. So then I got another batch from another lfs and these were fine.

Sounds like you did all of the right things - these things just happen sometimes :(

I know your tank is cycled so I would probably just chalk it up to bad stock......

6. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Okay good to know this site is so helpful and filled with great people. My local fish store is very good at keeping their fish healthy and each tank is run on a different filtration system so I just have to do my part now. Also never seen a dead fish in any of their tanks.

7. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sometimes even the best of stores get bad suppliers/stock. Unfortunately, its hard to tell and if you say ALL of them are going that direction, its probably bad stock ( unless you see something obvious which you already pointed out you didn't )
    Hopefully you will be able to get credit back for the ones who didn't make it.

Are you QTing them? I would definitely recommend it if you plan on getting any more.
    I didn't realize the value of QT until ALL of mine came down with ICH! I was so glad I did QT them!

8. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

This first batch I decided not to QT because they are the only fish in ATM but I will be QTing in a small 5 or 10 gallon from now on.

9. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Also one of them just got its self a name "zippy" I walked in and seen him stuck to my sponge on my intake filter. I thought I had another goner but nope he's struggling and flapping around so I grab my tweezers and ease him off the sponge and he takes off . He then proceeds to go right back to swimming in the current of the HOB outflow. Hope he learned his lesson now to get to close to the sponge hahaha

Maybe is the HOB running to fast for them? It's an aquaclear 50 I have one on each side. This guy plays in both outflows swimming all the way across to reach the opposite one

10. Maxi1 Member Member

I love cardinals and neons, but I have never been able to keep them alive more than a few weeks or months. Finally I have decided my water is not good for them. I'm not sure this is right, but my pH is almost always over 7. Most parameters for them I have read don't go over 7. Now I have pristella tetras which have lived for over a year.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum