Cardinal tetras and Bettas

Mari
HI! I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 tetras. I was thinking of getting 6 tiger barbs but now was considering putting in a male betta, maybe a female. My 2 concerns are that the cardinals nip the betta's fins or that my betta kills my cardinals. However, I've read that cardinals aren't fin nippers and they are fast enough to avoid being killed by bettas. Also, I read that if you add the tetras first, the Betta won't see them as food but as furniture. ??? I really don't want any of my pretty cardinals to be killed or have a nipped betta... should I risk it? I have a big enough tank (I think) for all to live peacefully. Please, any comments or suggestions will be very well received! ;D

0morrokh
It's fairly likely the Cardinals would nip the Betta's fins. It's possible it could work out but I think it's too risky to try.

Mari
It's fairly likely the Cardinals would nip the Betta's fins.  It's possible it could work out but I think it's too risky to try.

:'(

:-\
Thx... not what I wanted to hear but still, I appreciate your comment
:'(

0morrokh
Sorry. I too wish Bettas were compatible with more fish...but what can you do...

Carillon
I see a perfect solution to this problem -- a new tank! I see the early symptoms of a common disease round these parts ... It's multiple tank syndrome already!

COBettaCouple
Sorry. I too wish Bettas were compatible with more fish...but what can you do...

yea, territorial fish just have shorter tankmate lists.. and a new tank always sounds good to us!

Mari
I see a perfect solution to this problem -- a new tank! I see the early symptoms of a common disease round these parts ... It's multiple tank syndrome already!

hehe... I have only had my tank for a month though!!! I really didn't want two tanks cuz I work like crazy (my boss erroneously believes because actually I spend hours reading fish forums ) Let me try one tank and if it doesn't work, I'll get another one... or just forget about getting a betta for a while, until I have a car and can actually go buy another tank! Tired of asking friends for a ride to the pet store hehe ;D

Mari
Thanks for the info though. You've all been very helpful as always.

0morrokh
We all said one tank is enough...trust me, we all thought one tank is enough...but MTS is a very very stealthy virus...it's not our fault really...we were forced to buy those 5 other tanks...really.......

Hehe in other words I wouldn't count on being able to resist getting another tank. ;D

Mari
We all said one tank is enough...trust me, we all thought one tank is enough...but MTS is a very very stealthy virus...it's not our fault really...we were forced to buy those 5 other tanks...really.......

Hehe in other words I wouldn't count on being able to resist getting another tank. ;D

I will probably catch the virus when I get money enough to afford it

COBettaCouple
lol.. that's the only thing that keeps our MTS in check.. money and space.. and we keep finding space.. asking ourselves things like "do we really need that tv there - we can fit another tank in that spot"..

bert2001
I have a shoal of 8 cardinals and a betta in my 30 gal. There have been no problems at all between them. The betta pretty much hangs out with our molly. The only problem we have ever had was when we tried to put an angel in there. He killed 2 or our cardinals.

ecnaj143
Another thing that keeps me MTS in check is my apartment complex rule is 1 fish tank, but can't exceed 50gals, so when I get the money, guess what I'm getting ;D

COBettaCouple
Another thing that keeps me MTS in check is my apartment complex rule is 1 fish tank, but can't exceed 50gals, so when I get the money, guess what I'm getting ;D

I guess we couldn't live there.. lol.. soon to have 10 tanks and 2 'sort-of' tanks

Mari
Wow you guys really have the multiple tank syndrome baaad!! I am going for my pretty fishie betta tomorrow. so exciteeed! will take a pic when he feel comfortable enough in his new house. g-nite

COBettaCouple
Wow you guys really have the multiple tank syndrome baaad!! I am going for my pretty fishie betta tomorrow. so exciteeed! will take a pic when he feel comfortable enough in his new house. g-nite

lol, it'll get worse.. more tanks, must have more tanks. : Good luck with your Betta and we look forward to pics.

ecnaj143
I guess we couldn't live there.. lol.. soon to have 10 tanks and 2 'sort-of' tanks
:'(sucks!!!!

lolagurl

hehe... I have only had my tank for a month though!!! I really didn't want two tanks cuz I work like crazy (my boss erroneously believes because actually I spend hours reading fish forums ) Let me try one tank and if it doesn't work, I'll get another one... or just forget about getting a betta for a while, until I have a car and can actually go buy another tank! Tired of asking friends for a ride to the pet store hehe ;D
you could get a tank divider if you really wanted the betta enough

ecnaj143
That would require him to ask his friends for another ride to the pet store!! ;D

Mari
That would require him to ask his friends for another ride to the pet store!! ;D
I'm a SHEEEE..... MarI is a girl's name! ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
JesseMoreira06