15 Gallon Tank Cardinal tetra, tail missing difficulty swimming

KrissyK24
Member
I just pulled a bunch of hornwort out of my tank to put it in another and I was able to get a good look at everyone. I noticed one of my tetras is looking not good compared to the rest. It looks like his tail is almost gone and he's having a hard time swimming, there is a sponge on the HOB intake so they can't get stuck. I've had them for 7 months now. Only thing in the tank is harlequin rasboras, three types of snails (bladder, rams and trumpets) and I added 5 neo cherries about a week ago and planning on adding another 5 or 10 soon. Ammonia and nitrites 0 and nitrates stay steady around 10. I do weekly wc of around 25%, temp is a constant 78°.
 
Noroomforshoe
Member
Is this the 3.5 gallon tank you listed in your profile? opps, i guess its the 15 gallon in your guestion,
 
AggressiveAquatics
Member
It looks like NTD (neon tetra disease) most common symptoms are lack of color, bumps/lumpiness usually around the stomach area and loss of appetite and not swimming as much. It looks like that tetra has all of the physical stuff. There is no known cure for this as of now so if it is neon tetra disease then you’ll need to euthanize to avoid it spreading
Edit: never mind this is a cardinal tetra. Although the description of neon tetra disease fits this almost perfectly
 
  • Thread Starter
KrissyK24
Member
Noroomforshoe said:
Is this the 3.5 gallon tank you listed in your profile? opps, i guess its the 15 gallon in your guestion,
It's my 15 gallon, there's no way I'd put them in a 3.5 gallon.
AggressiveAquatics said:
It looks like NTD (neon tetra disease) most common symptoms are lack of color, bumps/lumpiness usually around the stomach area and loss of appetite and not swimming as much. It looks like that tetra has all of the physical stuff. There is no known cure for this as of now so if it is neon tetra disease then you’ll need to euthanize to avoid it spreading
Edit: never mind this is a cardinal tetra. Although the description of neon tetra disease fits this almost perfectly
I'll look into NTD but would it show up after around 7 months of being in the tank?
 
Redshark1
Member
Diseases tend to strike when fish are stressed and the immune system is suppressed and unable to defend the fish. Whilst stress is very common when fish are newly introduced it can also occur at any time in the life of the fish.

I would expect this to be Columnaris disease, which is caused by a bacterium that lives on the skin of the fish (I think it would feed on dead skin). I believe it is normally controlled by the immune system and prevented from feeding on living parts of the fish in this way.

Neon Tetra disease has been reported in the hobby but when properly analysed in the lab it has usually turned out to be Columnaris. However, both diseases have similar symptoms and cannot be distinguished by the naked eye.

As Columnaris bacterium is a facultative pathogen, it is able to live, feed and reproduce away from the fish if necessary. Living on a fish is only one way for it to live. It can also survive drought, medication and other adverse periods by entering a resistant dormant stage.

I believe Neon Tetra Disease cannot live, feed and reproduce away from living fish but it is able to persist in the environment in a dormant stage like Columnaris. However, as mentioned earlier it is a rarely encountered in our fishkeeping hobby, though it is a serious problem in the aquaculture industry.
 
  • Thread Starter
KrissyK24
Member
Redshark1 said:
Diseases tend to strike when fish are stressed and the immune system is suppressed and unable to defend the fish. Whilst stress is very common when fish are newly introduced it can also occur at any time in the life of the fish.

I would expect this to be Columnaris disease, which is caused by a bacterium that lives on the skin of the fish (I think it would feed on dead skin). I believe it is normally controlled by the immune system and prevented from feeding on living parts of the fish in this way.

Neon Tetra disease has been reported in the hobby but when properly analysed in the lab it has usually turned out to be Columnaris. However, both diseases have similar symptoms and cannot be distinguished by the naked eye.

As Columnaris bacterium is a facultative pathogen, it is able to live, feed and reproduce away from the fish if necessary. Living on a fish is only one way for it to live. It can also survive drought, medication and other adverse periods by entering a resistant dormant stage.

I believe Neon Tetra Disease cannot live, feed and reproduce away from living fish but it is able to persist in the environment in a dormant stage like Columnaris. However, as mentioned earlier it is a rarely encountered in our fishkeeping hobby, though it is a serious problem in the aquaculture industry.
I just read up on colunaris and it doesn't seem to be it, he's not gasping for air, no fuzziness, he's swimming around just not very good and he's eating just fine, none of the symptoms he seems to be showing, he's still with the pack but they don't really shoal together since I got them but they hang out in the same area
 
DoubleDutch
Member
I think Redsharknis correct.
The white in the tailbase (causing the loose of the tail) and NTD-like symptoms in most cases are Columnaris (there are several syrains showing different symptoms).
NTD wpuld have caused.dead cardinals 7 months ago.
 
Top Bottom