Cardinal tetra problem

1. amelampus Initiate Member

I have new tank - about 5 weeks. Fish for last two weeks. 56 gallon. Well planted. Currently in the brown diatoms phase but otherwise healthy (if young) as far as I can tell. .25 or less ppm ammonia (but slightly non zero), no nitrites, 5ppm nitrate. Slightly higher ph than ideal for tetras (7.6). Tested using API master.

I have 8 Cardinals (for now), 2 otos and 5 peppered corys. There are also a (few) snails from the plants :)

In the last day, first one, now two cardinal tetras have rapidly (a few hours) developed a faded area. One side obly, perhaps a third of the fish. No visible damage to the skin, it isn't raised or anything like ick, just faded.

The affected fish swim slowly and sometimes hang out either at bottom or top - typical stress behavior.

Ideas?

2. amelampus Initiate Member

Here is a picture. I debated posting in a different category, but really suspect this is a new tank issue...hope it is the right place.

http://imgur.com/lfWew6W

3. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I don't know sorry. Bumping for you. Welcome to the forum. CindiL or Aquaphobia may be able to help.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of your tank? What kind of filtration system do you have?

Can you post a picture of the whole tank?

5. amelampus Initiate Member

I will post a picture. Out right now. It's 30x18x24, so tall, but still >75% surface of 55, so should be adequate air and substrate (and I treat it as less than a 55 accordingly).

Fluval 306. Outlet is high to ensue surface agitation. 77 temp via fluval heater.

Rocks are granite, tested inert via acid and examined for any visible trace metals.

3 small water wisteria, medium sized amazon sword, and a micro sword.

6. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I would suspect Neon Tetra Disease and advise you to do some reading about it.