Cardinal Tetra Or Neon Tetra For My Aquarium?

MrFishy222

Hello, I have recently got a 125 litre (27.5 Imperial Gallons) aquarium which is currently cycling. It is densely planted with a mix of elodea densa, java fern, marimo moss balls, Anubias nana and dwarf water lettuce. While planning this tank out I'd been set on a dwarf gourami centrepiece fish and a large school of cardinal tetra. I have kept both neons and cardinals in the past with no problems but it has been a few years and everyone seems to be conflicted on which is hardier and better for certain aquariums. Some sites I read say cardinal tetra, as well as neon tetra, are only to be kept by "expert" fish keepers and some say they are "easy beginner fish" and there seems to be no general consensus. Unfortunately, I live in an area where the water is not the best for fishkeeping however I have had quite a lot of luck over the years.
The water parameter test results are as followed:

Total Hardness (mg/L): 300
Nitrate (mg/L): 25
Nitrite (mg/L): 0
Chlorine (mg/L): 0
Total Alkalinity (mg/L) 180
Carbonate (mg/L): 180
pH: 8

As you can probably see the water in my area is far from ideal so after seeing these results I was honestly surprised that I'd had success keeping tetras and dwarf gouramis in water like this before and that my current fish are not affected. With all this being said what would you recommend for this tank, neons or cardinals? If not at all is there a way for me to soften the water or improve the water quality in any way?

IndusNoir

I mean if you had good experience before, I don't see why not, get whichever you like more. Few places have ideal fish water on tap, but fish live on happily anyway. It seems people talk a lot about this or that species being hard to keep alive and I rarely find it to be true (except maybe oto's :(). If you get fish locally they are probably kept in water similar to what you have anyway.

MrFishy222

I mean if you had good experience before, I don't see why not, get whichever you like more. Few places have ideal fish water on tap, but fish live on happily anyway. It seems people talk a lot about this or that species being hard to keep alive and I rarely find it to be true (except maybe oto's :(). If you get fish locally they are probably kept in water similar to what you have anyway.
I ended up having a talk with someone at my local fish store which has cardinal tetra about this a few days ago and I asked them where their water is from and as you suggested their fish are kept in pretty much kept the exact same water as mine so I'm confident now that it will be fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Stuartb90
  • pH
Replies
Views
Pfrozen
Replies
Views
Sam V
  • Question
Replies