Cardinal tetra help

Jjmoon

Reaction score
Soooooo I had to completely clean out and fresh start my 20 gallon tank because of a major planaria infestation after I moved fish that were in the tank into another, more suitable tank. When I started keeping fish about 2 years ago I got goldfish and, being stupid, did not read up on how to care for them. After learning of how much space they needed, I took measures to make sure they were still healthy. Water changes multiple times a week, etc. After moving the fish into the big tank recently (3 goldies 55 gal tank) I had noooo idea what I could put in my small tank. Well, i came upon a store with a male betta in a community tank and i thought that was rad and i love bettas so I got him. Well, I just added 5 neon tetras less than 7 hours ago (1 week and 6 days after adding betta) and 3 have died. I have had fish from the same store die rather quickly but never this fast. I added stress coat after I added the fish and added melafix after the first died. I just read up and cardinals and they don't do well with sudden pH changes. Is that what caused it? They are acting a bit weird, the don't move very much but no clamped fins. Thought my filter was turned up too high but I turned it down and still nothing
I have a hang on back topfin filter and 20 gal fish tank. Previously, it was up for 2 years bit after I restarted it's only been up for about a month.
The pictures are of the two in one place and then in virtually the same place in the second picture, taken when I got closer
No wounds on dead tetras, maybe slightly frayed fins

Sorry, cardinal tetras* I originally went to buy neon tetras but they only had one so I got cardinal tetras. Guess I shoulda gone with the one neon huh

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think they are pretty insecure cause of the small.numbers, the bright light and their new surroundings. They look quite colored up though. Don't know why the other died.
Could have been Ph shock.

Maybe get some more and add some floaters / coverage. Don't doubt you got the wrong fish. Neons are of a bad quality nowadays.

OP
J

Jjmoon

Reaction score
Now, it appears something's wrong with my betta and the one cardinal remaining seems fine! I'm definitely gonna get on the stores ass for not educating customers. I should've known, I made the same mistake with goldfish.

New Threads