Cardinal Tetra has weird white blotches

Rforster95

Hi all,

Two days ago I noticed some white spots on one of my Cardinal Tetras. Not sure what they are. Fish were purchased about 3 months ago. A 40g community with 10 Cardinals, 8 Rasboras, 4 Kuhlis.

Ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate 5ppm.

No other fish seem to have these spots and all fish, including the affected fish, are shoaling and eating and behaving normally, so just at a loss as to what this could be.

I noticed the spots two days ago but his behaviour has been consistently normal since then.

The Cardinal also has his full colours. Just looks a bit more faded from the weird lighting and awful zoom I had to use to get a clear picture. Just seems to have these white spots though.

The spots are also larger than what would typically be categorised as ich so I’m not sure where to start..

And I’ve always thought fungus was typically a cottony or hairy texture. These spots are completely flat.

Any ideas so I can help him?
BEB72284-8F80-4B5A-B25E-4A9555233A8D.jpegThanks!

AquaticQueen

Did you introduce anything new into the tank recently? Any new plants or fish? Is there any sand in the tank?

Rforster95

Did you introduce anything new into the tank recently? Any new plants or fish?
No new fish at all. All the fish were purchased together a couple of months ago and fortunately did not have any losses when they were introduced. I have added some plants, although my local aquarium has their plants in a plant-only tank so not sure if that would reduce or eliminate risk of introducing something to the tank?

AquaticQueen

No new fish at all. All the fish were purchased together a couple of months ago and fortunately did not have any losses when they were introduced. I have added some plants, although my local aquarium has their plants in a plant-only tank so not sure if that would reduce or eliminate risk of introducing something to the tank?
If your tank has sand in the substrate it could be that some sand just got on him. I guess there's a chance some sort of fungus could've entered the tank with the plants. When did you add the plants? Is the patch spreading?

Rforster95

Added some new plants about two weeks ago. Haven’t noticed the patches spreading but only noticed the patches two days ago so not a great deal of time to compare to. I’m not really sure how long the patches could have been there because the aquarium is very heavily planted, so I don’t get a good look at them often. Only noticed at feeding time. Aquarium has fine black sand too. Is it still possible it could be fungus even if the patches aren’t raised or cotton-like? Would it be worth treating the whole tank with some fungus type medication?

AquaticQueen

Added some new plants about two weeks ago. Haven’t noticed the patches spreading but only noticed the patches two days ago so not a great deal of time to compare to. I’m not really sure how long the patches could have been there because the aquarium is very heavily planted, so I don’t get a good look at them often. Only noticed at feeding time. Aquarium has fine black sand too. Is it still possible it could be fungus even if the patches aren’t raised or cotton-like? Would it be worth treating the whole tank with some fungus type medication?
I'd play it safe and treat for fungus. Even if your fish doesn't have fungus it won't hurt them. Some members on Fishlore will actually treat for parasites/fungus every month or so just to make sure their fish don't come down with anything.

Rforster95

I'd play it safe and treat for fungus. Even if your fish doesn't have fungus it won't hurt them. Some members on Fishlore will actually treat for parasites/fungus every month or so just to make sure their fish don't come down with anything.
Thanks for your help! Is there a certain fungus medication you’d consider to be the most appropriate? And assuming they’re bio filter safe? Sorry for all the questions!

AquaticQueen

Thanks for your help! Is there a certain fungus medication you’d consider to be the most appropriate? And assuming they’re bio filter safe? Sorry for all the questions!
I'd try SeaChem Paraguard. You might want to get some second opinions on that first though, before you treat. I don't want to be responsible for the death of someone's fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Mark2621
Replies
Views
ApistoHongsloi
Replies
Views