Cardinal tetra has ich.

1. Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Hi I have a cardinal tetra that I guess just got ich , it not really bad yet. I have about 6 cardinals , 15 neons , and Glass catfish
    I was wondering if I can treat the whole tank to get rid of the ich , I know the glass catfish don't have scales so will they be ok ??

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

When my fish had ich I moved them right away to a quarantine and treated them. After 2 or 3 days my fish had no sign of ich anymore. If you don't have a quarantine you can treat the whole tank. But add half the dose since you have scaleless fish. If your fish seem fine add another dose

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Linwood Member Member

I have been reading a lot as I have a case now also, just for clarity-- Take a look at the stickies and google a bit.

The whole tank will be infected, the lifecycle is such that much of the time is spent down in the substrate, and some is spent free swimming (invisibly) in the water.

The parasite is ONLY vulnerable to treatment in the free swimming stage (and briefly while settling to the substrate), so no treatment removes it from the body, only time. Time is days at higher temperatures (low 80's) and weeks if pretty cool.

If you treat in a separate tank, you almost ensure some reinfection when they are returned to the original tank, EXCEPT -- the parasite dies if there are no fish in the tank at all for a complete lifecycle, in the free swimming mode they must attach to a fish or die.

You must treat thoroughly, not just until the spots go away -- otherwise the substrate phase will survive, and break out later to the free swimming stage and reinfect the fish. Often in very healthy fish the new infection is small enough (as they fight it off) you will not see it, and then weeks/days/months later when they are stressed and it takes more firm hold you think it came out of nowhere.

Scaleless fish can get it (that is what I have), absolutely, but are more vulnerable to some of the meds as mentioned above.

There are many treatments, some medical, and also heat (alone or with salt). Note medicine treatments also call for increased heat but the heat-without-meds calls for much higher heat (> 86F) and longer.

Note all the above is what I have learned by reading not because I know, so take it with the usual "everything you read on the internet is true" warning, perhaps others will correct any mis-statements.

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I'd never treat in a seperate tank cause of the mentioned lifecycle. The other info is correct to me. One thing about cardinals : be sure it is Ich. Especially cardinals can have (bigger) white spots that isn't Ich !!!