Cardinal Tetra Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Reema, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

Got me some cardinal tetras. They seem to have adapted well, water parameters very good, they swim nicely, not hiding it any unusual behaviour. Problem is, that never come up top for feeding and even when the food starts to sink, they are interested but are not managing to gobble food down. I have tried crumbling tetra flakes and tried Omega One micro pellets. The micro pellets seem too big for them. They spit them right back out. I tried crushing them but sink way to fast that way. They are really small tetras.
    Why are they not eating ? Or they are eating but minuscule amounts that I can not detect?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
  2. GreekGills

GreekGillsValued MemberMember

Sometimes it takes a little while for them to adjust to a new tank. Give it a few days and they'll come around

3. OP
    OP
    Reema

ReemaValued MemberMember

How long can they go without eating ? I will try to feed them every day but all that uneaten food is polluting my tank.

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Hubby says they look happy, healthy and beautiful. I’d say they’re eating after the pellets have soaked a while. They’re also quite good at snatching food without seeming to. Try a little garlic juice on their flakes. See if they’ll eat more readily for you. Watch these guys. Keep us posted? Please?

5. GreekGills

GreekGillsValued MemberMember

They can go days without eating. I would just give them time to relax and adjust to the water. Minimizing everything that may stress them (lights, vibrations, water changes etc) will help

6. Raizinhell

RaizinhellValued MemberMember

Ive had fantastic results with Fluval's Bug Bite Tropical formula for small fish, hikari's frozen brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworm.
    If you're concerned about leftover foods, you could add some cleanup crew to your tank like snails, shrimps, and bottomfeeders.

7. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I have learned to crumble the flakes just under the surface of the water for my tetras (thank you Fishlore friends).

8. finnipper59

finnipper59Well Known MemberMember

This might sound crazy, but it mat be because your still there. 2 of my 5 angelfish won't start eating until I walk away from the tank. Once I get far enough away, I can look back and see them eating. The other 3 practically snatch it from my fingers.

9. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

I would say they're just getting used to their new home and aren't interested yet. I don't recommend going this long without feeding, but you can if absolutely necessary: Fish can go a max of about 2 weeks with no food. (So you're fine not to feed them for a couple days).

I had my power go out on me for 2 weeks, ($800 bill is hard to swallow with 5 tanks) So I had to drain all my tanks to 50% to increase water surface/oxygen. Bought an battery powered air pump (the airpod by pennplax is freaking awesome, never thought I'd love a pennplax product). and had to completely stop feeding my fish (to cut down on waste levels). I only lost a couple of shrimp from my nano tank, all my 'fish' survived the entire 2 weeks.

10. Willed

WilledValued MemberMember

11. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECOValued MemberMember

Fish can be picky eaters, but if they're hungry.. they'll eat. I have a female oscar who is 9 inches and it took her a week and a half to start eating. Fish will eat if they are hungry, as long as your water parameters are good, and there's no infections/not sick they'll eat. New fish tend to not eat sometimes, normal behavior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice