Cardinal Tetra acting strange Help

1. cwb141 Member Member

I have 7 cardinal tetras. While they don't school all the time there is one that just hangs out in the same spot unless it's feeding time. He/she just floats in an open space behind the lava rock and next the the filter intake.

My water tests out pH 6.6 Nitrate 10 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0 but there is tannic acid present from a large piece of Malaysia wood. It's been in there for a month and the Cardinal has been floating back there for a week.

He/She doesn't show any external problems. Will still move around to eat and is the largest Cardinal. Don't think anything laid eggs in my tank either.

Anyone have any ideas?

(first pic shows the lone one, 2nd show the rest)

Attached Files:

2. DRock914 Member Member

I don't know why that is happening but I have noticed the same type of behavior in my tanks. There always seems to be one fish out of the group that stays away from the rest.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

im sorry your baby isnt feeling good :( but with the others doing well, im going to guess its a pecking order and he is last man out...but just to make sure, id get your own test kit so you dont have to rely on others to tell you what your water parimeters are .

tank looks great !!!!

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello CWB. I hope your fish is going to be ok. As long as it's eating and swimming around a bit I don't know that I would worry too much at this point. Your tank and fish are beautiful!
    Best of luck!
    Ken

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I would agree with Shawnie that it could be one that is left out of the group. That's one of the bad things with schooling fishes. They would have a few separated and left out. I doubt it'd be a external or internal problem. Most probably just a left out fish. Hope for more opinions from more members. Best of luck! :;hf