Question Cardinal/Saluwesi shrimp- Worth it? Suggestions?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I’m considering keeping another type of shrimp (I’m open to suggestions as well) I’ve kept cherries, Amanos, and ghost shrimp so far.

Since the pH of my tap is 8.0, with pH of my current tanks around 7.7, I’m considering cardinal/ saluwesi shrimp ( Caridina dennerli) as a candidate. I’ve also heard they’re quite sensitive, and I don’t want to try something that is not meant for me, especially with such a high price tag on these beautiful shrimp. This would also be my first experience with cardinia shrimp, and these guys probably aren’t the best first try. Still, I want some advice/ shared experiences from others regarding this shrimp.

If any of you have cared for them, what was your experience? How sensitive are they? Are they a shrimp you thought was stressful/tedious? Are they a shrimp you would recommend to others?

I’m open to suggestions for other types of shrimp

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your now going into something that need very special care lots of reading get yourself primed for these.
They are so dammed expensive here or my tanks would be full of them,

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richiep said:
Your now going into something that need very special care lots of reading get yourself primed for these.
They are so dammed expensive here or my tanks would be full of them,
I’ve been reading as much as I can, and the more I read the more I don’t want them. It also doesn’t seem like many people own them as I can’t find anything on them here and other forums don’t seem to have many threads about them either.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you won't find anything on them or at least very little they are relatively new to the shrimp world, i found only one that import them for me at an astronomical price

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
richiep said:
you won't find anything on them or at least very little they are relatively new to the shrimp world, i found only one that import them for me at an astronomical price
Yup, the best I’ve found that carry tank-raised is 15-20$ per shrimp. And they were sold out. Then there was another offer for 6 at 100$. Insane.

It’s a pass for me, I just feel like there’s not enough available information to invest in such a sensitive shrimp. Still, if someone has kept them before it would be interesting to hear their experiences

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wow, that one shrimp is worth more than it’s weight in gold. A dwarf shrimp weighs about 1 gram, and a gram of gold is worth $65.43/ £49.49.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when shrimp first came on the market they were stupid prices and some still are my black bee were being sold for $10 just a few months ago he was so greedy I now sell them privately for around $2.50

New Threads