Cardinal not eating???

Tsweet
i have a Bangaii Cardinal who used to tear through the Mysis shrimp at feeding time. Now he is not eating hardly at all if any for the past 4-5 days. Should i be worried? he is not showing any physical signs of disease. I was thinking about going out and getting some frozen brine with spirula (sp) to maybe give him something different. He lives with a Yellow Tang, 2 clownfish for the moment in a 125G tank. any Suggestions?
Thanks,

Bangaii Cardinalfish.jpg

saltwater60
How old is the fish and what else are you trying to feed it?
What are you water parameters?

Tsweet
flyinGourami
Tsweet said:
Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 phosphate .5 ph 8.2 temp 78.4 SG 1.025 He has been in the tank for approx 2 months. He is one of pair that survived an ich outbreak 3 months ago and was qt for 6 weeks.
HOw is the nitrates 0

Tsweet
That is what the test reads. Or barely negligable.

Here Is the test

UnknownUser
0 nitrates can happen in a heavily planted tank, or a tank without a high bioload, or a tank that gets water changes often.

saltwater60
He looks pretty skinny. Any signs of internal parasites.

Tsweet
I change 25 percent every other week and filter clean every month. I just replaced all filter media las t time.

I will look into what signs for internal parasites. I have not seen anything but may not know what I am looking for.

UnknownUser
Tsweet said:
I change 25 percent every other week and filter clean every month. I just replaced all filter media las t time.

I will look into what signs for internal parasites. I have not seen anything but may not know what I am looking for.
Do not ever replace all the filter media at once. You don’t have to replace it ever unless it’s completely falling apart. Just give it a good rinse in TANK water (not tap). You could’ve caused the tank to recycle, which is why you have 0,0,0 readings. Keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrites as they’ll probably spike.

Tsweet
wow that makes sense. i did add new tank bacteria to help speed up the cycling.
Thanks!

saltwater60
Tsweet said:
wow that makes sense. i did add new tank bacteria to help speed up the cycling.
Thanks!
It looks like you have a good bit of live rock in that tank. Live rock should be a good foundation for your BB.
I do agree to not change all the media at once or you could go through a mini cycle but I doubt in this case it would cause a complete cycle crash. hard to say without more details.
Can you post an entire tank shot and what filter media you are running and changed so we can have more information to make a determination on that?

Tsweet
I
20200409_105742 (2).jpg
run a Fluval FX4 canister filter and a protein skimmer. i changed out the foam filters and the polishing filters. the other media I did not change except for adding a filter bag of phosphate pellets.

saltwater60
I do not think that will cause your tank to fully cycle again. I doubt you’d even see a blip on the radar.
You have plenty of live rock and your bioload is very low. Keep an eye on it to be sure as the other poster is correct in stating changing too much media out at once can cause issues.
min this case the live rock has to a of surface area to grow BB.
Back to the original issue of the cardinal not eating any better?
sometimes fish fail and there is no explanation.
I’d watch for stringy poop and other parasites. Try feeding a few other foods as well. Try bribe shrimp, blood worms, myisis(u have), coral gumbo, and other smaller copepods if you can find them.

here’s a link to a trusted site that says they eat small portions multiple times per day. Try feeding them a bit 3-4 times per day. Also anyone chasing them? I know tangs can be speedy and maybe the tang is scaring them.

Tsweet
thanks for the input! I will try some different items. I appreciate the feedback!

Tsweet
Sad day The cardinalfish was found dead this morning. i am hoping that it was not something that i did or did not do. i really want this hobby to work.

saltwater60
Sorry to hear that.
certainly you try to minimize losses but they are unfortunately to be expected.

if you want to give us a run down of your procedures and we can give you recommendations based off of what you are doing.

Tsweet
daily: Feed at 7:30 am and at 7:00pm feed flake and thawed mysis shrimp (mix in freeze dried brine now and then)
run protein skimmer 4 hours a day. use magnetic glass cleaner as needed for algae. Supplement seaweed strips for Tang about every other day or so on a clip. Weekly clean plastic plants if need.
Test every other day the following: PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates, SG.
Bi-weekly change out 20-25% of water (25 gallons).
Monthly: clean filter media
Chemicals add weekly prime and pristine and occasionally algae control.
I think that is it

saltwater60
Sounds about right to me.
I would consider doing the water change weekly instead of bi-weekly. May not be necessary.
You say you test your water parameters every other day what are you getting for those parameters? That will indicate your water change schedule. Saltwater tanks need much lower nitrates than FW tanks do. What are you using for testing and what are you using for your SG monitoring?
Also why are you adding prime? As a chlorine remover or are you seeing ammonia and nitrates and nitrates?
I don’t see a reason to add pristine weekly if your tank is cycled. How long has the tank been running and what’s is in the tank. Also what algae treatment are you using and why? I’m sure to remedy or prevent an algae issue but are you having an issue currently? That may indicate something is wrong.

Tsweet
My readings have been very consistent since the first cycling when I set up the tank 6 months ago. the only spike I have seen was with phosphate but even that has been lower recently. at this moment my bio-load is 1 Yellow Tang, 2 Clownfish, 7 turbo snails and about 10 blue hermit crabs. I had a bout with ICH about 3-4 months ago and lost 10 of 12 fish (my fault) I did not have a quarantine setup at that time. I quarantined the fish and treated them in a hospital tank for 6 weeks only 2 survived. during the quarantine I turned up the temperature on the main tank and let the ICH cycle and die off for 6 weeks. I put back the 2 remaining fish and they did well for awhile I then added the Tang and one more clown fish separately over 4 weeks after a 2 week quarantine and treatment in the QT. As far as the algae it does grow on my plastic plants, live rock and on the glass. i know some is good on the rock but try to control the others.
I use an API saltwater test kit for testing as well as a Hydrometer for alkalinity.

saltwater60
If that cardinal was left over from the ich battle it may have been from that. Treating with medication is a fine balance and it is very tough on fish. I avoid meds if I can.
Just curious what your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels are currently.
seems your bioload is very low currently and if you tank is 6 months old should be cycled for sure.

Tsweet
Okay I just tested the water. PH 8.2, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0, Phosphate .25 SG 1.024. This is consistently about what my readings have been for weeks. After original setup I recorded my readings daily as it went through the first cycle, it took about 4 weeks . I did not buy my first fish until then.

saltwater60
Ok looks good to me. I’d stick with the bi-weekly water changes as you are doing and increase them to weekly as your bioload increases and you see your nitrates to climb.
Likely nothing you did caused the cardinal to die. The ich, meds, and being swapped back and forth to tanks may have been too much for him/her.
Again sorry for the loss but you will unfortunately have some here and there.
good luck.

Tsweet
Thanks for your help!!

saltwater60
That’s why we’re here.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom