Cardinal Cannibalism?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Alan0387, Apr 14, 2018.

1. A

Alan0387 New Member Member

Hi folks,

Couple days ago was maintenance day and when I came home from work I found only 4 of my 5 cardinal tetras in the tank. My 2 amano shrimp where hiding as usual. Couldn't find the 5th tetra anywhere, absolutely no trace what so ever. So went about my cleaning and found some 'fleshy bits' under the driftwood. Basically I think the smallest tetra died at some stage the previous 18 or so hours and the tetras and shrimp devoured him. Crazy because there was literally only 2 small chunks of flesh caught under the driftwood where the shrimp have made home. But today I noticed the 2 shrimp where gone from clear to clear with red blue speckling down their bodies! This must be from eating the tetra?????

Never seen or heard of this before!
    Anybody else see this? You will notice some tetra 'skin' towards the end of the amanos tail section......
    20180414_180934.jpg

2. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

That's nature for you, they don't call shrimp the clean up crew for nothing :emoji_shrimp:

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

It's not cannibalism. Fish are opportunists and ANYTHING dead in the tank is fair game.

4. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

All fish, including those touted as vegetarians, will eat other fish, most fish food is made from other fish (the highest grade kinds are made from salmon, cod, halibut, etc). Amano shrimp eat dying and dead fish very quickly, 18 hours is enough time for six animals to finish off a small fish.

5. OP
    OP
    A

Alan0387 New Member Member

I've only ever had goldfish before these tetras and shrimp so it's all new behaviour to me :eek:

I just didn't realise 2 small amanos could finish off a whole tetra that quick! o_O

Every day is a school day!

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

The amanos and the tetras can, three inch amano take about 24 hrs to eat a standard sized guppy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice