Cardamine Driving Me Crazy, Won't Stay Planted

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

My Walstad bowl has an issue. From the front it looks like a beautiful, lush jungle of aquatic plants. From any other angle it's a hideous mess of roots and stems.

Mostly, my cardamine. Half of what I initially planted developed stem rot and came unplanted. It is THRIVING, just not in the substrate. It is almost impossible to replant. What should I do? View attachment 439041 IMG_20180517_214816.jpg

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

one of the things you need to do with aquatic plants is trim them to promote health. They don't develope rot like some of the terrestrial species, and this case lack of lighting was probably the most likely cause for this. What i would do is cut up your plant into some pieces and plant those. Make sure each piece has a few nodes. I wouldn't bother with the other stuff and either toss it or sell it.

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I trim my tanks frequently, but since this was a Walstad I didn't want to compromise the "filtration" for the shrimp living in it. Would pulling it up, trimming and replanting it be detrimental to the shrimp?