Carbon

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My filter media in my Aquaclear filters contain carbon particles. On the box, its advised that I replace the filter once every four weeks at least. But I've been told differently around here. So my question is, should I remove the carbon when I put the media in the filter? I don't want the carbon to break down and release the toxins back into the water. Should I wait a couple weeks before I remove the carbon?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you can just cut a slit and dump out the carbon....filter itself, shouldnt be replaced until its absolutely falling apart...and then you can add new filter media in there a few weeks before you are going to throw out the old

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Alright, thanks Shawnie

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaclears have a separate pouch of carbon in addition to the sponge and biomax. So leave the sponge and biomax in until it falls apart or you can no longer rinse it clean. You can opt to put in more biomax if you want to get rid of the carbon altogether. I prefer carbon so what I do to keep costs down is buy loose carbon and put some into the leg of new, unwashed pantyhose and put that in my filters.

-Lisa

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I also have a aqua clear filter in my 10 gallon and I replace the carbon every month but then the next month i don't use carbon just 2 sponges.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads