carbon tubs? Question 

Sh_akers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i know when someone answers this, ima be kicking myself but, at walmart i keep looking at the plastic tubs filled with carbon, and i cant figure out how itd be used... its Aqua-tech, and ive never seen it anywhere but walmart, but the nearest petco or petsmart is like 60miles away, so my filters have been bought at walmart, and the filters are also Aqua-tech.. so how would one use the carbon? cuz in the filter media, there is no way to get the carbon that is in it, out, nor put any in. so whats the point of selling the carbon by its self, not in the filter media?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a few different ways to use loose AC in your aquarium. Generally any way that keeps water flowing over the AC and keeps the carbon available to be easily replaced will work. You can cut a slit in your filter media and empty out the old AC to replace it with new, or you can put some AC in panty hose or similar material and place it somewhere in your filter.

bruiser

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When you say tubes, would it be possible that it would mount on or go in the intake tube for the filter? Just a thought.. I've seen the filters, but never the carbon your talking about..

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think he's referring to the containers of carbon, sold separately from the filter media/cartridges.

Like bass master said, it's just a way to cut costs by doing it yourself, use panty hose or a media bag and refill it yourself. If I need to run carbon, that is how I do it. Actually the only thing in my HOB filters that came with the filters is the tough "floss"...I use polyester batting for the most part.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are special draw string bags made for adding media to your filter

Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom