Carbon Rili Shrimp

1. FreshFish08 Initiate Member

Hello Everyone!

I am very excited to be getting some carbon rili shrimp soon. I am a bit worried though about my tank parameters and making sure they have a smooth transition. The tank is cycled and currently only has one other resident (an oto) and lots of plants. It is a fluval spec V about 5.5 gallons.

My main concern is the pH. My tap water where I live is about an 8 to 8.2 which also means my tank is the same. I am ordering some driftwood to maybe help it lower the pH a little. What do you recommend to lower the pH? I don't want to just use chemicals because it isn't sustainable.

I plan on feeding them a mixture of algae wafers and blanched vegetables. I had Cherry shrimp in the past and they would eat some of the frozen blood worms I would feed other fish in the tank. Would Carbon Rili's do the same thing?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

I've never tried rilis on bloodworms, I feed all my shrimp NovoPrawn by JBL. As for the high pH, mine is also around 7.9/8.1. I don't have any driftwood in my Nano tank so the pH pretty much stays like that and I've had RCS for a while, a few Amano and the Rili shrimp I accidentally got seems to be doing fine! Rilis and RCS are the most adaptable out of all shrimp! Dont worry they will be fine. Just acclimate them slowly. Patience is key

3. FreshFish08 Initiate Member

Thanks! That is reassuring. What do you recommend to acclimate them?

4. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Well, with all shrimp, great care should be taken to acclimate them. Once they arrive, follow these steps and you should be fine! With shrimp, NEVER float your bag as they can suffocate in breather bags.

Preferably, you should use the Drip Acclimation method, as it is safest and assures slow and precise acclimation of your shrimp. A quick Google search will give you everything you need to know. If you are unable to do the Drip method, then do this;

1) Get a plastic/foam cup or plastic small bowl, and place it into a large bowl.

2) Carefully add your shrimp into the CUP/LITTLE BOWL. Make sure none of the shrimp have been left in the bag. You can add in some Java Moss or a small but of plant life for them to chill in for a while.

3) Slowly, at 3 minute intervals, add 1/2 oz of your aquarium's water into your shrimp. Do this for about 30 minutes. It doesn't matter if the little cup or bowl overflows, that's what the big bowl is there for.

4) Next add 1-2oz of tank water every 3 mins for 15 minutes in total. The goal here is to replace the water they came in with your tank water very slowly. Let's say they arrive in 1L of water. The goal is to add 2L of your tank water to their cup and slowly flush out their old water.

5) Once this is done, you should have perfectly acclimated shrimp. Carefully remove what the shrimp are in from the larger bowl, and then place it into the aquarium. Make sure the shrimp water and your tank water is the same temperature, so temperature acclimate them for a few mins if necessary.

6) slowly bring the cup/bowl below the waterline, and gently turn is sideways. Your shrimp should be able to freely swim out. This may take a while and you can move around the container gently to make the water level inside lower. This will encourage the shrimp to leave, and go into your tank. NEVER just pour them in, this creates stress.

7) Enjoy your shrimp! These are amazing little creatures and are the quirkiest, funniest little dudes on the planet. I could watch mine for hours!

I hope your shrimp arrive and acclimate without a hitch, and that you have beautiful Rilis for years to come! Have fun with your new shrimp!!!!!

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Wow, that is one of the most detailed and longest acclimation processes I have ever seen that wasn't drip acclimation.

I would also suggest checking with the place you get them to see how close your water parameters are to the parameters the shrimp were in previously. That will help you determine how slowly they need to be acclimated. i.e. my RCS that I purchased from a local store, I ran a 2 hour acclimation because the store uses RO water, so they were going from 6.8-7.8 pH. However, my Blue Velvets I ran a shorter acclimation period (30 minutes as I had to do it during my lunch break), as the parameters for the seller very closely matched my own.