carbon replacement

1. b

brokenwing Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone, how are you all doing. Quick question I have a Aqua clear 30 and I need to replace the carbon in the filter. I know some people dont use it, but its helping right now to clear my tank. Instead of buying the aqua clear replacement carbon pouches, could I use this?
    http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+3599&pcatid=3599
    It would be cheaper in the long run, but how would I go about measuring out the right amout. Thank you all, as always i appreciate your help.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I don't see why you couldn't use the carbon like that. Just guestmate how much was in the bag and put that much back in. A little more/a little less shouldn't make a big difference.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks butterfly, I figured it was pretty straight forward. Its cheaper it seems in the long run to replace your own carbon.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yeah many, many years ago that's what I used when I used carbon. If I remember correctly it was pretty dusty so you may want to rinse it good before putting it in the tank.
    Carol

5. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

hI brokenwing,I have an ac 50 and thats what i do.I get a bio bag for 89 cents and a pound of carbon from my lfs for 20.00.Sometimes i put more and sometimes i put in less it all depends on how much other media i want to stuff in there.

6. OP
    OP
    b

ok thanks for all the repsonses im going to order some from dfs, unless u know a cheaper place

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I use the Marineland Activated Carbon in the link above. It's soooo much cheaper in the long run compared to the replacement packs.

Check www.thatfishplace.com too. Sometimes they may be a dollar or two cheaper. I shop both DrsFosterSmith and thatfishplace. Both very reliable.

I purchase the 3.65L. largest available.
    Ken