carbon removes nitrate??

Shine

This is probably going to sound really stupid but....

Someone told me that carbon will remove nitrAte from the water. Any truth to this or is she just sadly delusional? (she has kept fish for years, but that doesn't convince me that she's right)

I was talking to her about my nitrate heavy tap water, and her solution was to hang a bag of carbon in the water until it 'soaks up' the nitrate... and voila! tap water that can be used

... yeah. I'm not overly convinced. It can't be that simple can it?

Shine

..oopps.. this probably should have gone under 'aquarium water' anyone want to move it?

sanjin

This is incorrect. Carbon will remove meds and some other impurities from your water, but it doesn't affect your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.

Aquarist

Good afternoon,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Water section of the forum.

Ken

Thyra

This would take some more research and is kind of complicated. Activated charcoal apparently is used in a lot of commercial and expensive filters. I spent about an hour "Googling" this and came to no conclusion - except I may need a chemist - it is used together with other things that make it difficult to understand just which is doing what and how much, lol (But I am not ready to write it off)

LyndaB

sanjin said:
This is incorrect. Carbon will remove meds and some other impurities from your water, but it doesn't affect your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate.
I would have to agree with this..... but then again, I'm not a chemist, nor do I play one on television.....

bass master

Carbon shouldn't have a pronounced effect on nitrates. What would probably suite you better is an ion exchange resin, many of these swap Cl- ions for the nitrate ions and can be recharged by soaking in bleach. I believe seachem makes a few of these products, might be worth a try to check out their website.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom