Carbon Removal?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fishgrub, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Fishgrub

FishgrubNew MemberMember

My betta fish has fungus growing on her and I bought kordon fungus removal. On the back it tells me to remove carbon from my filter, is it okay if i just take out my filter or cartridge all together and use the med for a few days? My betta used to live without the filter for awhile before I got the tank

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Removing the filter will disrupt the nitrogen cycle (click on the blue letters to read about it), which will result in the ammonia and nitrite in the tank to rise to dangerous levels.
    What type of cartridge and filter is it?

3. OP
    OP
    Fishgrub

FishgrubNew MemberMember

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

You should be able to cut a slit through the cartridge and dump out the carbon. Then put the cartridge back into the filter.

5. Terabyte

TerabyteWell Known MemberMember

Yeah that should work. Depending on the size on tank I would get a HOB with room for more than pre made cartridges. I have a penguin 170 on my 20 Gal and I took the filter insert out, added some ceramic rings, took a bag made of filter floss and filled it with ammo-carb, and put two filter pads in there and it works great

6. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

just cut the bag and tank out the carbon...Do you know why they said to remove the carbon. I know why but just want to see if you know

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Do not take out the media as that would make your tank instantly uncycled. And will cause ammonia to rise because there are no BB to handle it. Cut a small part on the cartridge and take out the carbon that way.

8. OP
    OP
    Fishgrub

FishgrubNew MemberMember

Thanks, I'll cut it out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice