Carbon Or Not!

1. capecodder

capecodder Member Member

Does anyone use carbon in the filters anymore? I had tanks years ago and we wouldn't run a tank with out it. I know times have changed but I'm not using carbon and I have the worst algae issue I've ever had.

2. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Member Member

I do! I find it helps keep the water moving, suck up debris, eliminate smell, and help with algae a bit.

They are not necessary but I prefer to use them.

Get some more opinions though before deciding.

3. C

Chase P. Initiate Member

If you have algae, wouldn’t you use phosphate remover media?

4. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

I have a stockpile of carbon from new canisters in case I need it but probably will never use it.

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I use it in all my aquariums. I recharge it every two weeks.

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I dont use carbon but i use pirigen.

How do you recharge carbon?

7. Thunder_o_b

I boil it for 30 minutes. Then bake it in an oven on a cookie sheet (keeping the thickness at no more than 1"-2") at 400 degrees F for 45 min. Let cool and use. I keep a large amount of carbon on hand so I do not have to wait for the carbon to cool to reset the canisters. I use Marineland carbon. All carbon is not created equal. The cheep carbon is burned coconut husk or wood. Marineland carbon is bituminous coal that lends its self quite well to being reused.

8. Thunder_o_b

Keep in mind that Purigen and carbon do two different things.

Purigen helps remove micro organics before they are converted in the nitrogen cycle. Carbon removes non organics along the lines of chemicals.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Carbon will remove additives for plants.

Everyone here knows that I add a lot to the water for my plants. Would that not be a waste?

Nope, you see I use SeaChem products only. These products are absorbed so quickly (30 min or less) that the amount removed by the carbon is negligible.