Carbon - is it needed for clear tanks?

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This may be a dumb question, but I recently changed out the Fluval U4 on my 75g because the flow was too strong for my fancy tails, but that was the only carbon I had in the tank. If I want my water to stay clear, is carbon vital or can it be done with other bio media and weekly cleaning? I could fit some in my HOB too but I would have to remove some sponge to do so :/

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
I believe filter floss is the recommended media for clear water (like polyester pillow filling). You can also buy specialized 0.0000000000000000001 micron filter media that’s specifically made to clear up your water. . . I bought some special stuff, think it was tetra brand, worked ok but in the end I threw it out and went with regular old filter pads. . . Water seems pretty clear to me?

Anyway, I vote no, carbon is not needed for clear water.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It shouldn't be unless you have something leeching tannis like driftwoord or decaying plant matter. Cloudy water is typically caused by algae or bacteria blooms, and sometimes by fine sediment that won't settle. It's possible you caused your tank to cycle or go into a mini cycle when you changed filters/removed b media. If you have a test kit you should test your ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't use carbon because I don't want it to suck up all the nutrients needed by my plants. I find regular weekly water changes works just fine. If it does come down to it, I'll use purigen or chemi pure green or something that won't effect the nutrient level.

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rcslade124 said:
I use no carbon and have clear water
lovely tank:) how it is so clear with plants, is amazing to me. My tanks get algae no matter what I do. One has brown and the other green. They are clear too but my goldfish tank is the one I worry with no carbon beucase they are apparently the pigs of the water:) But you will be my muse!

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kippielynn said:
lovely tank:) how it is so clear with plants, is amazing to me. My tanks get algae no matter what I do. One has brown and the other green. They are clear too but my goldfish tank is the one I worry with no carbon beucase they are apparently the pigs of the water:) But you will be my muse!
Do you do weekly water changes to remove excess nutrients? And what's your lighting schedule like?

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
It shouldn't be unless you have something leeching tannis like driftwoord or decaying plant matter. Cloudy water is typically caused by algae or bacteria blooms, and sometimes by fine sediment that won't settle. It's possible you caused your tank to cycle or go into a mini cycle when you changed filters/removed b media. If you have a test kit you should test your ammonia and nitrite levels to make sure.
The tank is freshly set up and fairly sure the gravel was not 100% rinsed as well as could be, but hoping then no carbon is fine for long term goldfish waste :) thanks!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO you only need carbon for sucking out smell or meds. It didnt do much for tannins for me.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl said:
IMO you only need carbon for sucking out smell or meds. It didnt do much for tannins for me.
Well it will turn tea colored into pee colored lol. But yea it never does seem to get that last bit out.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kippielynn said:
Oh it's been a little bit of work. Was clear for months then I added another filter and I had green water for 2 months. My lighting schedule is supper weird. Tues-fri lights only on 7p-10p. Saturday 3p-10p and Sunday Monday 12p-10p. I do have algea in places but pond snails help keep it in chexk. With goldfish just good gravel cleaning and it shouldn't be bad.

New Threads