Carbon in fishless cycle

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Jswin, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

When you're doing fishless cycle do you remove the carbon from the filter? Essentially that would make the bacteria work harder correct? I have only done fish-in cycles in the past so I'm new at this way, I seeded some media out of my other tanks filter so hopefully it won't take long.

2. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Activated carbon may limit the amount of ammonia that the bacteria needs to consume thereby delaying the nitrogen cycle. To avoid the uncertainty it's best not to use activated carbon until you are fully cycled.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It shouldn't matter whether you leave the activated carbon in or not. In fact, the mesh bag with the carbon gives more surface area for the bacteria to grow on.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

I agree that you will attain a full cycle whether you use AC or not. My point was to avoid uncertainty that carbon may be "stealing" some ammonia that's meant for the beneficial bacteria. At least you can be sure that the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are accurate and have not been slightly reduced because of the AC. Use more bio media in place of the AC if possible. Later when your tank has been cycled you can use AC for cleaner water conditions.

If for example not using AC is unavoidable, for example filters that have all-in-one cartridges then by all means use it but do not replace it.

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes I agree with you there. When I was running Aqueon filters with their all-in-one cartridges, it felt like it took forever to cycle the tank. I've had much faster cycles from scratch with other brands, such as those that actually use bio media/ceramic rings like the AquaClears.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

Yeah. I'm running my aquaclear currently. I to the AC out and have a canister coming this week. I plan on overstocking this cichlids tank so I got lots of filtration

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice