Carbon In Cannister Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Lcas1, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

Hi have new 22 gal tank set up with betta 700 cannister filter.it has a carbon filter with it i have put it in at minute been running for 5 days no fish added as yet is it best to not use carbon and put some extra sponge and ceramic rings in to take its place had few people say it would be a good idea just interested in few more opinions thanks

2. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Carbon wont help your cycle at all if that is what you are asking.

3. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

Oh right how so? I was just asking in general if it was better not to rely on using carbon filters read that it mainly used for removing meds and other impurities

4. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Much better off adding ceramic media and sponges IMO. Save the carbon for if you ever need to medicate the tank then put it in the filter to remove extra meds left over in the water.

5. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

Ok so which is best order to put these in the cannister? At the min I have ceramic rings at the bottom with a filter pad on top that is first tray then another filter pad with the carbon filter at the top this is what it shows on side of the box but have heard this may be wrong?

6. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

You are correct. It is not needed unless you want to perform the above.

7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

depending on the way your canister filters...Mine are Fluval and go bottom to top so i have the big sponge at the bottom ceramic media next then the top tray or 2 (206 has 3 trays 406 has 4 trays ) filled with polyfill . Its worked well for me so not changing it. :)

8. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Assuming your canister flows from bottom to top, bottom- mechanical like sponges, coarse, medium then fine filter pads. After that all biological solid porous media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls. Ceramic rings are ok.

9. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

What he said :)

10. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

So confusing lfs told me not to put the sponges at bottom because they would just clog up all the time and told me to do what said on the box frustrated before I have even started getting fish and cycling tank lol

11. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Your LFS folks are not the brightest bulb in the hall. That's why you want course to fine on bottom because you want the cleanest part of the water to impregnate your biological media for good bacteria growth. If you didn't your media would get clogged. Same reason why your cars air filter is before the engine intake and not at the exhaust. ;-)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  12. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

Right so if I get some more media take the carbon out then move the 2 sponges to the bottom and get a fine filter pad I can put them in the bottom tray and then fill the top tray with my ceramic rings I have already got and add a few more does that sound right? It just shows the other way on the box but what u have said makes more sense!

13. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Watch this video to help you out.

14. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

I have watched this video believe it or not that why m so confused everyone says to put it the way u have said.cant understand why it would show it other way on the box or why my lfs would say do it that way but I will take ur advice thanks for the info

15. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure your canister filters from bottom to top and not top to bottom??? Which way??

16. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

This is what it shows on the box

Attached Files:

17. CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Well that's a crappy diagram ;-). But anywho, I found that filter on the web it is appears to be a standard canister with the flow from bottom to top. If I'm wrong someone will jump in here I'm sure. Follow Pondguru's video to load that filter.

That looks like a Forza canister by Aquatop here...

18. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

Haha tell me about it not good for someone who has never used one like myself can I find that video on YouTube?it says it's a betta 700 cannister filter I will still watch this video thanks much appreciated

Haha still doesn't show which way the media goes in the trays it is a very similar filter to mine I am going to take ur advice anyway and switch the media round and remove the carbon filter the diagram on my box shows the water going to bottom first then filtering upwards so will go with the way u said thanks again

19. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Exactly. It does bothing else. Removes meds, removes phenols, removes inorganic solids and thats it.

20. danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

It shows you how to do it on the box to get everything all mucked up so you have to buy more all the time. That's how they make money. Sponges on bottom always. There are 3 sponges, course, medium and fine. After the 3 sponges you want your media to fill the rest. If you want to polish the water put thin white filter pad on very top. This is how my canister filter is set up and honestly I followed the video posted when I did it. It's the best way. You will have to rinse the sponges every month maybe sooner depending upon your bio load.