Carbon filters with Tetra SafeStart?...

1. Legures Member Member

Hi guys, just joined the forum today :;hi2 I migrated from Yahoo Answers to applesnail.net and now here. :)

Right now, I have one of my old tanks up and running again and I have no more filter media. (There was no BB on the previous ones because I quit fish keeping for a long time and everything ended up drying up).

I plan to get TSS, my fish, some filter media and etc. I would get filter media without carbon but they don't have any for my models of filters.

1)Would the carbon in the filter media affect the results of TSS?
    2)Also how would you order putting in my fish, TSS and the filter? I was thinking about replacing the media for an hour while I get my fish used to the water parameters and then putting TSS in. How would you do it?

Thanks a lot!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore!!

According to tetra, carbon will not effect TSS.
    It would be a good idea to follow the directions exactly.

Set up tank with a water conditioner that does not detoxify ammonia.
    Let it run for 24 hours.
    Add TSS
    Within 2 hours of adding TSS, add fish.

This info from tetra should help with any other questions:

Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Good luck!

3. Legures Member Member

Thank you! I was just wondering because I know that TSS needs an ammonia source and I was worried the BB would starve because there isn't a source within 2 hours.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

You're welcome!

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Also, TSS is a dechlorinator in and of its self, the way the bottle makes it sound. But the only time I used TSS was to give the good bacteria a bit of a boost when upgrading my tank, and it was in the month of its expiration date, so I used some Aqua Safe just to be safe... :;nin2

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!
    You can also use pillow stuffing or quilting backing for media. Just make sure its perfume/dye free.
    Good Luck !!

I have not heard that about TSS. Is this new? The bottle recommends their own dechlorinator ( of course Tetra would) and didnt say that TSS does this action. But ive been without TSS for a couple years so im just checking :)

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm pretty sure that SafeStart is not a dechlorinator, and your water needs be be dechlorinated with a non ammonia detoxing water conditioner (or you need to wait 24 hours after using one). Not to surprisingly, Tetra recommends using Tetra AquaSafe.

8. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

From: http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4224

Cheers.

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks JD!!