Carbon and Melafix?

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm getting ready to treat my sick little fish, but it says to remove the active carbon. I have a Aqua-Tech filter; if I take out the pad, what's filtering it? The Biofiber? I thought that was just for the bacteria to grow on....

What should I do? Please respond ASAP! Thanks!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
why are you going to medicate?
if it has a cartridge , (not sure on the filter type you have) you can cut a slit in the filter cartridge and just dump out the carbon but replace the cartridge

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Geez that was quick. xD

Finrot, unfortunately. D:

The filter and cartridge (these pics were just found on the net):

So if I do pour out the carbon, what do I do at the end of the treatment?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish'd said:
Geez that was quick. xD

Finrot, unfortunately. D:

The filter and cartridge (these pics were just found on the net):

So if I do pour out the carbon, what do I do at the end of the treatment?
if the finrot isnt severe, a week or two of daily water changes, with some vita chem and stress coat, can do wonders.....if you feel you still need to medicate, just cut a slit in the filter cartridge and dump out the carbon good luck!

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm going to go ahead and medicate because I have neither of those, and he looks pretty bad. I don't know HOW I didn't notice. Anyway, thanks! I hope it works.... <3

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hope he does well!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
what type of fish is it?

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's a panda cory.

I washed all of the algae off of the plants, and was putting them back in the sand. I lightly lifted him up and scooted him over. He immediately swam up, upside down. I thought he was trying to attack me, but it turns out he can't swim very well! It's almost like a swim bladder problem. I quickly added the Melafix and put him in a breeder box with some sand. He's laying on his side... I know I'm watching his dying breaths...

Never mind... He died as I was typing this....

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
awww i'm sorry to hear that. I know pandas can be sensitive. poor thing

sharkgirl52

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
for future reference... I just had this problem of fin rot with my black moor... I didn't know what to do about the carbon either, because my filter was made to add carbon into the pads, but when I was shopping around, I noticed that some pads can be filled with ammonia rocks instead of the carbon. You can buy them in pouches and then just replace the carbon that's inside. Or some pet stores, I don't know out Petco or Petsmart... but some other pet stores sell Filter pads that are interchangeable with other filters that do not have any carbon in case of illness. I'm sorry for your loss, but this is just for future reference.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww I'm sorry for the loss
I would run a new test for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates to be sure things aren't amiss ...whats the lot#s on your test kit? making sure its not expired is a must also....fin rot doesn't usually kill a fish and I'm wondering if it could have been a few things going on ..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads