Car wash sponge Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by upgrade, Apr 10, 2010.

1. upgrade

upgradeValued MemberMember

Alright my friend saw a video about breading angels and told me when mine bread you should use a huge car wash sponge as a sponge filter.

I'm thinking this is a very bad idea.

But he thinks it will help keep the water cleaner.

His idea:

2Ft long PVC pipe, drill holes but a bunch of car wash sponges on it. bingo, jumbo sponge filter.

I think that would kill fish?

Leave your thoughts
    434.jpg Thanks!

2. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Has he tried it before?

3. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Nope, he just saw a video on youtube and thought i should use it

4. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Hmm...sounds fishy.

Just joking, I've never heard of anything like that, but I'll let someone who has breed Angels take this one.

5. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Ya, because I'm sure you just cant use any old sponge.

6. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

well, it seems like a sponge filter is a good idea. I don't know what the difference is between different sponges (well, except the ones with detergent/soap already in them - big no-no)...

in the DIY section of the forum, there is info about how to make a sponge filter.

7. OP
    OP
    upgrade

Cool, thanks. I cant seem to find any about what type of sponge to use

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  8. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3rValued MemberMember

Theoretically it should work well as long as there is nothing in the sponge that changes the water chemistry or adds poisons.

I am using a Hydro Sponge III on my 27 gal tank, and it works great as a biological filter. My ammonia and nitrites have been at zero since my tank has been cycled. However, I don't think that a DIY approach is cost effective as the basic sponge, hard plastic structure which holds the sponge, and plastic tubing cost about 10 USD total. It would probably cost 6 or 7 dollars for the parts, and then you have a small project on your hands.

9. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Already made sponge filters are very inexpensive so I personally wouldn't take a chance on the car wash sponge. Many sponges that are manufactured to be used over and over(like car wash sponges, sponges for cleaning at home etc.) have something in them to discourage mold and mildew. This would not be good for your fish.
    This is what I use in the larger tanks   need an air pump to run it.
    This is what I use in a smaller tank  
    Need an air pump to run it also.
    Carol

10. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Also check out KENS. He has a great selection of sponge filters, not to mention fish food, shipping supplies, and heaters.

11. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

OOOOOH I forgot about Kens :)
    Carol

12. OP
    OP
    upgrade

When you say "kens" do you mean "http://www.kensfish.com/" or some other kens?

Thanks in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice