Car Versus Deer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by david1978, Dec 29, 2018.

1. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well fokes I might of just totaled out our 2014 Toyota yaris. Hit a deer square with the front end. Bumper, hood, grill, windshield, pushed the fenders back, back seats full of car parts. Would of just went thump if I would been driving my truck. Only disadvantage to living in the middle of me were.

2. I like fish123

I like fish123Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    poor deer……………………

3. thephishsquad

thephishsquadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Least you'll have your truck...

4. OP
    OP
    david1978

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yea but the car is for my daughter to use primarily. I just took it to run to town so i didn't wake the neiborhood. A straight piped ford 6.0 diesel isn't exactly quiet.

5. thephishsquad

thephishsquadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +35
    Blame it on Mother Nature

6. Jafa

JafaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +250
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You guys are a hoot! :hilarious: (not your accident David, glad that you are okay)
    Posts like these are why I joined Fishlore

7. OP
    OP
    david1978

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Eh other then the cars a foot shorter now all good. That's why you have insurance.

8. Swlws

SwlwsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +638
    Experience:
    1 year
    I joined for desperate need of information but these threads definitely help in staying active!

9. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +482
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh bummer. Years ago, I had one lay down on the hood of my little Mitsubishi. Bent the frame but didn’t total it.
    And I wouldn’t mind a small truck in a manual. I just bought a new car last year that’s manual. But our big truck that I tow with? Automatic please lol!

10. Smalltownfishfriend

SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ugh sorry!! I have had many many close calls with deer but have never hit one.. the joys of living in an extremely rural deer infested area!!

11. OP
    OP
    david1978

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The funny part is I have this car in much worse shape. My parents bought it brand new originally and then I bought it from them. Well they had the car 2-3 months and mom hit one going around 60 mph. Basically destroyed the car to the front of the engine. Insurance spend $12000 to fix a $18000 car.

12. SegiDream

SegiDreamWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +534
    Experience:
    1 year
    Oh wow David sorry to hear but glad you're ok. Guess the deer thought you needed a third truck.

I'm praying my car/van survives until may or june. Every time I drive something odd happens. Today I went out, made a couple stops, wanted to head back home but then it started and sputtered right back out and then my heart was in my throat and I was hoping that it wasn't "The End". The last time I got gas it was like riding a bucking bronco and engine stalled twice. I want to blame it on bad gas but I dunno.

Just a couple days ago I did a swap, way out in the boonies, really creepy dirt road area like I even said out loud to myself geez if anything goes wrong I hope someone can find me or what's left. Anyways the guy saw my van, peeked at the dashboard, shook his head and said wow 250,000 miles and still running I'm shocked. 3rd person to say that in as many months. When random people are openly expressing their shock that your car is still running - it just cannot be a good sign. :nailbiting: My dad's SUV is approaching 500,000 miles, I had hope people. :shifty:

13. OP
    OP
    david1978

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well the ranger croacked at just under 300,000 miles so that's gone now. She has an impala now. I have really been thinking of selling my diesel truck and go back to a gas one. I have no use for a beast that like that anymore. I got looking at the car and I don't know they might fix it. A few bungy cords and its driveable.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    david1978

Ratings:
    +9,410
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hey I got my own thread now. Thanks mods. Didn't really mean to sidetrack some one else's thread but you know us. We just cant stay on track.

15. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,426
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have not hit a deer [yet] but drive at dusk/dawn and all over Gods country !
    I use those deer alert horns on my vehicles .They may or may not work but for less then $10 I hope I never really find out !
    Glad you're ok David. My wife is worried about deer here after dark all year !

16. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Trying to find a full size pick up with a standard these days is not easy. I will never part with my 6 in the nose, five in the hand, 8 in the back 2003 plain Jane Silverado.

17. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    Glad you’re okay. Haven’t had a close call with a deer yet but, even living in what is technically the second-largest city in New England, we have a lot of deer. Turkeys and coyotes too. We had three toms that hung out along our major thoroughfare and would follow me in what seems to have been an amorous way if I walked by them.

18. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    Could've been a lot worse. At least you weren't injured. I don't know if hunting is a dying sport in my hometown, but every time I visit there are a ton of deer. More than I ever remember growing up. It has become quite dangerous to drive at night, especially on dark and lonely roads.

I only hit a deer once. The collision was quite "gentle." It still covered the car's entire grill with fur. As for the deer, I wished I could've ended its misery. By all appearances it looked fine, and was watching me curse, while I plucked fur off my car. It legs were broken and couldn't walk.

19. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,898
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    @david1978 I am very glad you were not injured.

As a semi driver it is really depressing to see all the dead little ones on the road. I have seen many get hit over the years. Fortunately none of the people were seriously hurt. The worst was a 7 year old girl that had minor cuts to her face from the windshield. I went back to the cab and used some of what was in the first aid kit.

20. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +482
    Experience:
    1 year
    I feel so horrible for semi drivers. When I see a deer completely splattered on the interstate I figure s big truck hit it. And I figure the driver was not happy.

And by 8 in the back do you mean 8 foot bed?