Car Guys/girls?

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cold&warm said:
If I may ask :) , what was your teacher's commentary?
He said that if I was presenting it too an audience of car people, I nailed it. But since I wasn't, he said it was awful.
He grades different attributes of mine and my classmates papers like this; Style: 14/15, or 12/15, or 15/15, etc. The style for this paper was 10/15. I usually don't get lower than 12/15. Ended up with a B+, which isn't a bad grade. Still one I wasn't very happy with :shifty:.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Almost 70 here! Had the car out :).
4E26FCD1-5647-4393-B63D-CD5878D55A26.jpeg

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
Almost 70 here! Had the car out :).
Speaking of warmth and old cars (looking good as always by the way :)), saw a 56 Bel Air today, along with a 65ish Mustang, and a Ford Model A runabout.
There was also this really neat red Impala at this dealer, along with a 50ish Ford truck. Not sure what model the truck was.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw a stretch 57 Chevy bel air today. Wish I got a picture.

John58ford

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Someone asked me today if I was a car person because of my user name. I just do happen to be so here's a picture for post #1,246 of this huge thread. I don't have a good quality picture of my namesake '58 F100 on my phone but I do have one of my 69' F250 and matching antique Jon boat. Sadly in this picture I don't have the 1952 lightwin mounted on the boat, but it is at least a 1967 electric kicker (was at an electric only lake)
20190526_120253.jpg

Please forgive the small mirrors on the F250, I rolled it 18 years ago and when we restored it I couldn't put them back on. The only damage in the roll was the roof, easily fixed, and the doors. The mirrors ripped the skin off one door, and poked through and broke the window regulator on the other. Know how hard it is to find a good working window regulator for this truck (the f250 is a beast to find parts for, unlike the f150)? I couldn't bring myself to put the Western mirrors back on since I'm never putting another camper on it, it was a camper special from the factory though.

After scrolling through, I've seen quite a few pictures of cool towing combos in here too so; here's my modern ride, Chevy Tahoe with a "slightly" built 5.3 and a heavy rear axle. It's down on bags with stiff sway bars and short coils above the trailing arms Incase something fails. It's not lowered because I love scraping at gas stations, but instead so I can pull the race trailer, faster with a better/matching chassis height/geometry. This picture was at the top of the biggest grade I've ever pulled loaded. It was the hill that Dad called "the gateway to the Sierra Madre" in Nevada. I can't remember which highway we took, it was east of L.A. and Dad knows the back roads from back in his hay days. Trailer weighed in at 14,500 lbs on this run from San Diego to Seattle on no sleep/one shot. With a stop at Topgun raceway of course :)
IMG_20160515_072211135.jpg

A shot at Dad's place, when the trailers running light it sits about 2 inches higher (frame height)than the Tahoe at the axles:
20181116_111922_HDR.jpg

And one picture of the cabinets I built in there, because most (race or fabrication) car guys would appreciate them :). If people can't wrap their heads around building a tank stand, try designing a workbench that can hold up a 500lb+ engine, while traveling down the road and "racking" side to side as the trailer flexes. Then try to build it as light as possible so you don't end up too tongue heavy with a welder, roll away, compressor, winch, generator, dual batteries with inverter/charger, and 1000lbs of spare parts plus fluids and recovery gear up there too. Add in the '58 F100, rear fuel tanks, cherry picker, tire rack and other accessories it's hard to believe I fit a closet into the design for my racing and welding gear :)
20181116_204432.jpg

New Fish in Town

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone else ready for the Rolex 24 this weekend? Kyle Busch is racing a Lexus this year.

Attachments

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Somehow I stopped getting notifications for this thread :(
But I'm here to rant to other car people, in shameless hope of getting an "Oh! That drives me nuts too!" from one of you.
Here's what makes me crazy today:
People who drive with their high beams on in traffic.
People who drive with their high beams on because they have one headlight burned out and can't afford a new bulb because they had to stop at the vape shop for a new cartridge or a pack of Newports today.
People in 20 year old trucks with eBay LED headlights in them and then tilt the truck so no matter what I do their 1000000000000000-lumen non-focused headlights are directly in my side mirrors.
People who drive with one foot on the brake. This is not NASCAR. You do not need to heel-toe it down Wade Avenue.
People who drive 45 on the interstate in light rain because the good wiper blades are "too expensive" and the $12-a-pair ones from the WalMart are just fine.
Anyone who actually thinks it's safe to drive when they can't do it without cataract glasses on. (I was riding horses with a group one day and a man came down the road with his cataract shades on and HIT. One. Of. The. Horses!!! Just drove right into the back of A HORSE because he couldn't see it.)
People who don't pull into the intersection when they are waiting to make a left turn.
OK I'll stop TYVM for listening to me, lol.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wait you forgot people doing 50 in the passing lane (especially those in new corvettes :eek:). Why are the people in Prius’s flying and the old guys in vets crawling??

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cops don't pull over Priuses(?). Vette owners don't want to lose their license so they go slow.

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I LOVE forign convertible/sports cars. My mom has an 02 BMW 325ci convrrtible that is black with a tan interior. It only has 67,000 miles on it!! The window isnt working so my dad has to fix it. He started working on it but got caught up doing other projects. It has been sitting in our garage for a little over a year now!!

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DarkOne said:
Cops don't pull over Priuses(?). Vette owners don't want to lose their license so they go slow.
86 ssinit said:
Wait you forgot people doing 50 in the passing lane (especially those in new corvettes :eek:). Why are the people in Prius’s flying and the old guys in vets crawling??
As someone that drives a prius....I plead the 5th....

John58ford

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Magicpenny75 said:
People in 20 year old trucks with eBay LED headlights in them and then tilt the truck so no matter what I do their 1000000000000000-lumen non-focused headlights are directly in my side mirrors.
This all day. In my area the old truck folks aren't the usual culprits though. It's the Jeep Bros with the eBay special off road bro headlight kits with no idea what a beam cut off is. They also think just because you mounted spotlights on the bumper they should be considered "fog lights". Fog lights need a cut off too guys...

Nice rant. I go off about at least one of those subjects daily lol.

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
86 ssinit said:
You know, I'd call that thing about Vette's being driven by older guys slowly a sterotype, except that its true soooo...
No joke, I saw three Vettes close up on the road and every. Single. Driver. Was over 50 and under 45 MPH...
You know what's really funny? When you see an Odyssey or Civic or whatever with a huge dent on it and on the back there's a bumper sticker that says "Warning! Asian Driver!"
True story.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
John58ford said:
This all day. In my area the old truck folks aren't the usual culprits though. It's the Jeep Bros with the eBay special off road bro headlight kits with no idea what a beam cut off is. They also think just because you mounted spotlights on the bumper they should be considered "fog lights". Fog lights need a cut off too guys...

Nice rant. I go off about at least one of those subjects daily lol.
As a Jeep driver, I know how true this is. I'm still running stock headlights, albeit with upgraded bulbs, because I refuse to get the ebay lights...but I can see why people do. If you've ever driven a wrangler with stock headlights....you might as well mount lanterns to the front of the car for all the good they do. I just wish that the JW Speakers weren't 700 bucks! I find the jacked up Silverado drivers more guilty in my area. NC law says you can run headlights plus one pair of additional driving lights (fog lamps) but I guess they think if each of that pair contains 150 ea. 3W @ 10,000K LED chips then that's still only two lights lol.

John58ford

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Magicpenny75 said:
I find the jacked up Silverado drivers more guilty in my area.
They are guilty over here too but for different reasons. They are moving from the "cen-cal" style to the "pre-runner" look on my coast. I kid you not there are even 3500 trucks running around with "pre-runner" fender flares and and dessert style front end swap/lift. With the front end looking at the Moon anyhow they don't need any more than the stock headlights to blind a city block or 3 worth of traffic as they can't adjust them low enough even with a decent beam cut off (Most of them have likely never tried to level the beams anyhow though).

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heck that Honda. Traded it in on a '16 BMW 328XI Gran Turismo. Now, I know these are not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically-speaking, but I happen to think it's beautiful. It's fast than the Honda, X-drive is amazing, and my 6-foot stepson can sit comfortably in the back seat with 5" still in front of his knees. The color is Deep Sea Blue and I think it's the most beautiful color I've ever seen. I love having a unique car, which is probably why I didn't fall in love with my Civic like I thought I would.
Also my payment dropped by $30 a month even with some negative rollover, and surprisingly to me my insurance only want up $7 over the term.... so it's a win all over the place!
Did I mention I think it's beautiful!?!?
OMGABMW.jpg

The only thing about the deal I wasn't happy with was the dang salesman could not get it through his head that it was MY car and not my husband's. (He was overall a little weird and I was surprised to hear he'd been working at the place for ten years because he had very little in the way of conversational or interpersonal skills.) He kept asking him all the questions and when we took delivery he handed the keys to him! Of course, my husband is wonderful and he backed away and said, "No way this is all about her!" Because he's awesome.

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
Heck that Honda. Traded it in on a '16 BMW 328XI Gran Turismo. Now, I know these are not everyone's cup of tea aesthetically-speaking, but I happen to think it's beautiful. It's fast than the Honda, X-drive is amazing, and my 6-foot stepson can sit comfortably in the back seat with 5" still in front of his knees. The color is Deep Sea Blue and I think it's the most beautiful color I've ever seen. I love having a unique car, which is probably why I didn't fall in love with my Civic like I thought I would.
Also my payment dropped by $30 a month even with some negative rollover, and surprisingly to me my insurance only want up $7 over the term.... so it's a win all over the place!
Did I mention I think it's beautiful!?!?
OMGABMW.jpg

The only thing about the deal I wasn't happy with was the dang salesman could not get it through his head that it was MY car and not my husband's. (He was overall a little weird and I was surprised to hear he'd been working at the place for ten years because he had very little in the way of conversational or interpersonal skills.) He kept asking him all the questions and when we took delivery he handed the keys to him! Of course, my husband is wonderful and he backed away and said, "No way this is all about her!" Because he's awesome.
Dang. Good for you Magicpenny75. You traded up into a whole other universe of performance and coolness.
I honestly wouldn't mind having one of these, even though I'm more of a Stinger GT guy.

Personally, I think these look FANTASTIC. I always love seeing them go by. There aren't enough of them if you ask me.
But the question I think me, and everyone else, wants to know is; when do the turbochargers (plural) go in ;)?
And of course you'll be adding a 50 inch gooseneck wing, as all 328XI GT owners do ;)?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Canaculus said:
Dang. Good for you Magicpenny75. You traded up into a whole other universe of performance and coolness.
I honestly wouldn't mind having one of these, even though I'm more of a Stinger GT guy.

Personally, I think these look FANTASTIC. I always love seeing them go by. There aren't enough of them if you ask me.
But the question I think me, and everyone else, wants to know is; when do the turbochargers (plural) go in ;)?
And of course you'll be adding a 50 inch gooseneck wing, as all 328XI GT owners do ;)?
Joke's on you! It's already turbocharged...and it has an automatic spoiler built into the deck that pops up at 65 mph all by itself and reduces rear-end lift by 35%.
Now I'm not saying I won't let my trusty BMW Mechanic (I have a GREAT mechanic who used to work on my Mini and has a semi-religous following in the area) eventually upgrade that turbo for me, but for now I'm happy with 240 HP and 255 lb.-ft. I gotta make a few payments before I start tweaking!

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Magicpenny75 said:
Joke's on you! It's already turbocharged...and it has an automatic spoiler built into the deck that pops up at 65 mph all by itself and reduces rear-end lift by 35%.
Now I'm not saying I won't let my trusty BMW Mechanic (I have a GREAT mechanic who used to work on my Mini and has a semi-religous following in the area) eventually upgrade that turbo for me, but for now I'm happy with 240 HP and 255 lb.-ft. I gotta make a few payments before I start tweaking!
IT HAS A FLIP UP SPOILER?!
I LOVE THAT ON CARS!!!!!
Yeah I was mostly kinda joking lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom