Car Guys/girls?

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The neighbor behind my house has a 70's Eldorado and a Fleetside.
Although my parents through hard work work were (only/just) emerging from very difficult financial circumstances (in plain English: poverty) I went to kindergarten and primary school in one of the city's (and the country's) wealthiest neighborhoods. On the way, close to school was a villa where they had flamingoes in the garden (yes, the large gracious birds that - among other places - are endemic to Africa and South America). The owner drove an Eldorado (very appropriately gold-colored (dorado, verdad?) - at the end of the sixties and 1970. Funny enough, the rear part of the car was lower than the front part - very much like in the Lamborghini Miura.

Fleetside? Do you mean Cadillac Fleetwood?
Those American large cars made a young boy dream in those years... .
(A ride in a large vintage car from those years would be a treat for me still now...)

Last edited:

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My mom just asked me why the h-e double hockey sticks would we sell the van for a car that's older and not practical for winter

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Although my parents through hard work work were (only/just) emerging from very difficult financial circumstances (in plain English: poverty) I went to kindergarten and primary school in one of the city's (and the country's) wealthiest neighborhoods. On the way, close to school was a villa where they had flamingoes in the garden (yes, the large gracious birds that - among other places - are endemic to Africa and South America). The owner drove an Eldorado (very appropriately gold-colored (dorado, verdad?) - at the end of the sixties and 1970. Funny enough, the rear part of the car was lower than the front part - very much like in the Lamborghini Miura.

Fleetside? Do you mean Cadillac Fleetwood?
Those American large cars made a young boy dream in those years... .
(A ride in a large vintage car from those years would be a treat for me still now...)
No Fleetside. Kinda like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

upload_2019-9-11_20-4-56.jpeg

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No Fleetside. Kinda like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

View attachment 587146
Looks really cool ...
Never saw any of these cars on/in the narrow streets at this side of the Atlantic.
Must have a huge engine that would have made its use for delivering goods mere theory ... considering fuel prices on the European mainland (even before the oil crisis).

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks really cool ...
Never saw any of these cars on/in the narrow streets at this side of the Atlantic.
Must have a huge engine that would have made its use for delivering goods mere theory ... considering fuel prices on the European mainland (even before the oil crisis).
Probably. Maybe you haven't seen one because good ones are worth $70-$80,000.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@DarkOne do you have any suggestions of a decent but still cheaper car that's AWD instead of RWD like the miata?
Get a spare set of wheels with snow tires. A miata with snow tires is way better than any awd with all seasons.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get a spare set of wheels with snow tires. A miata with snow tires is way better than any awd with all seasons.
I’m not to sure about that. You know he lives in Colorado right? Miatas are pretty light. I think they put snows on there awds.
Another nice car I owned was the Mercury Milan awd. Not the sportiest but not bad. Had a spoiler and some had a sports package. Was great in the snow and all in all a good car.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hoping the point was really that all season tires really are not ..
At least not in the North ….Just another product misrepresented and accepted by paying people ???

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol they made a huge difference on my STI. You don’t move in the snow with summer tires on .

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Up a little farther North all seasons are considered summer tires !
Tire companies still make and sell snow tires ..They just don't market them as much as all season .
They know most are cheap and not needing the fourth season really ..3 out of 4 ain't bad ??

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Snow tires....... ha.

I think you can count the total time it freezes each year where I live in hours.

It snowed here a couple of years ago, then again about 18 years ago. People about lost their minds while driving around in it. It had been decades the last time it snowed before that, lol !

@nikm128 , if I lived in Colorado and was on a budget, I'd be looking for older manual transmission AWD Subaru's or 4Runner's from the late 1990's to early 2000's.

Bulletproof cars.

Last edited:

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Where I work, there is a specialty "motorsports" dealer across the street. The deal in a lot of BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Audi etc. and some fancier models of your typical brands like Mustangs and Tastefully Hopped-Up Imports. I just heard a 2013 Mustang GT scoot by the office, and thought, "You know, dollar for dollar, a Mustang GT has one of the best sounding exhausts out of the factory for a modern car."
Thoughts? Competitors? Does anyone particularly disagree? I'm not talking about a fresh from the dealer Maserati. I'm talking about a car that the "rest of us" could reasonably afford...

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol they made a huge difference on my STI. You don’t move in the snow with summer tires on .
How do the snow tires drive on mostly dry roads? Is it a wear on the AWD?
Would consider snows on my Crosstrek as I have to go to work regardless of weather. But here in the mid Atlantic, we have dry or wet roads the majority of the time in the winter.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No we were talking about all season tires. My kids got the cross trek and does fine with the all seasons it came with.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's amazing that even with the interwebs that people still cling to the notion that AWD and/or 4x4 is all that's needed in winter/snowy conditions.

Here's a comparison from 11 yrs ago

Another more recent (2 yrs ago) with a Crosstrek

With all that said, I drive a truck with BFG KO's (all season M+S rated) and 4x4. I'm in NJ and we usually don't get a ton of snow and if we do, it's cleared within a day or two. I keep tow straps in the truck to help people stuck in snow banks when needed. And they're usually on all season or summer tires

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Why not have both? AWD/4x4 with winter tires. My only reservation is all the drain ditches here and the especially big one at the bottom of my street, cars get stuck in it all the time even with snow tires. I'm in the have it but not need it over need it but not have it mindset for this lol. Though I do definitely want a sports car at some point and a miata is definitely in the top 10.
Also, this will really irk you hardcore NASCAR fans, a 2jz swapped drift build NASCAR

Top Bottom