Car Guys/girls?

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I apologize for not following the trend - or should an aquarist say the current - of the discussion, but I have a question that car guys/girls can answer. (I guess this thread's moderator (@Coradee ?) will tell me to start a new thread and where, if that is the case.)
Situation: I have a laptop/notebook. On it is written: Input 19.5V 3.33A. On the original AC Adapter it also says 65W.
Question: can I connect the original adapter to the battery of my car or do I need to buy another one, specifically devised for in-car use?
- Problem is, they have 19V and not 19.5V and (much) greater wattage than 65W, which - I have been told - will shorten the lifespan of the laptop's batteries.

lunch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound older Porsche’s make when in a low rev range, kinda rattly and loose, obviously not the case though

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, now I have a sighting you guys will really never guess. I probably can't say more than it's a Morgan though...
That's one thing that sucks about driving, can't take pictures of everything.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Back in August, took a family trip with travel trailer up to the Texas Hill Country on the Guadalupe River.

20190908_152441.jpg

All hitched up and ready to leave......

20190908_152347.jpg

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
UUUUGHHH:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Things to replace: Power steering, windshield, battery, coolant is leaking, and soooo many bad noises.
Here's the newest bad(?) noise, I tried starting it after jumping it this morning and it was already dead again

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
UUUUGHHH:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Things to replace: Power steering, windshield, battery, coolant is leaking, and soooo many bad noises.
Here's the newest bad(?) noise, I tried starting it after jumping it this morning and it was already dead again
How long did you let it run after you jump started it? What's the voltage on the battery when not running and when it's running? The clicking is just the starter trying to turn over the motor but not enough juice in the battery so it's normal for a car with a dead/dying battery. If the battery is above 10.8v, you should be able to charge it (should be 12v-12.8v). You also want to check while it's running to see if your alternator is charging the battery. Normally should be 13v-14.4v while running.

I guess no one want's to see some pictures...
Does this make you guys want to see some?
2019-09-08.jpg
Amazing that a Surburban starts at $50k.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2019-09-08.jpg
Is that a viper, I'm curious now
How long did you let it run after you jump started it? What's the voltage on the battery when not running and when it's running? The clicking is just the starter trying to turn over the motor but not enough juice in the battery so it's normal for a car with a dead/dying battery. If the battery is above 10.8v, you should be able to charge it (should be 12v-12.8v). You also want to check while it's running to see if your alternator is charging the battery. Normally should be 13v-14.4v while running.

Amazing that a Surburban starts at $50k.
Yeah I realized that after I posted, it only ran long enough to get to running temperature so 10-15 minutes. We tried jumping it again with a car that had a much bigger battery and it still wouldn't turn, ended up just grabbing a new battery and now it's good. We had the dead battery tested and it was just totally out, it made maybe 8v if I remember correctly.
Found an exhaust leak too...yay

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Finally
So yesterday, right near my church, there was, for some random reason, a 911 Turbo S, a Huracan Performante, a 488 Spyder, and a 488 Pista. Then, after the service, I went with two of my friends to see if they were still there. They weren't, but in there place was an I8 and the Viper.
(The 488 Pista is now my favorite Ferrari. Ridiculously beautiful in person.)
Soooo I got some sweet pics .
upload_2019-9-9_16-13-56.png

2019-09-09.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-15-38.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-16-9.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-16-43.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-17-8.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-19-3.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-22-22.png

upload_2019-9-9_16-23-48.png

Also, I love the fact that the Viper has the Don't Tread On Me license plate .

And then, if all that wasn't crazy enough...
upload_2019-9-9_16-25-28.png

458 baby .

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
2019-09-08.jpg
Wow, during the last decades they've been making some stylish racy cars in the USA... Who is the designer of the beautiful gray car? Something tells me .. a woman.(?)
So yesterday, right near my church, ...
What exactly is preached in your church ? [Please do take it as lightly as it is meant.]

Last edited:

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow, during the last decades they've been making some stylish racy cars in the USA... Who is the designer of the beautiful gray car? Something tells me .. a woman.(?)

What exactly is preached in your church ? [Please do take it as lightly as it is meant.]
Which gray one? There are 3 .
The BMW was designed by Benoit Jacob.
Not sure who designed the new Porsche.
The Viper was designed by Ralph Gilles.

None of those people is a woman .
My church is in Lovettsville, the richest county in the U.S. Porsche's are fairly common, as are supercars (every month or so you'll see one).

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which gray one? There are 3 .
The BMW was designed by Benoit Jacob.
Not sure who designed the new Porsche.
The Viper was designed by Ralph Gilles. (1)

None of those people is a woman . (2)
My church is in Lovettsville, the richest county in the U.S. (3) Porsche's are fairly common, as are supercars (every month or so you'll see one).
(1) I meant the Viper, the only car from the USA, mind you.
The picture in (your) post #1009 reminds me of the times when cars were designed by hand - decades before computers entered the scene. They had this marvelous streamlining.
(2) Yeah, I got it all wrong.
(3) You can say that aloud ... I would be very eager to go to church every Sunday, if I lived somewhere near .... .

Canaculus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
(1) I meant the Viper, the only car from the USA, mind you.
The picture in (your) post #1009 reminds me of the times when cars were designed by hand - decades before computers entered the scene. They had this marvelous streamlining.
(2) Yeah, I got it all wrong.
(3) You can say that aloud ... I would be very eager to go to church every Sunday, if I lived somewhere near .... .
Say what aloud? What my church teaches?
I won't go into too much detail, as this thread is about vehicles and not theology, but it's an Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC).

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This is probably a hard question...but can anyone guess how much power can be squeezed out of a 3.3L V6 while keeping it naturally aspirated?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is probably a hard question...but can anyone guess how much power can be squeezed out of a 3.3L V6 while keeping it naturally aspirated?
Not enough info and way too vague.

Easily 1000hp but it'll run about 200-300 miles before it blows a piston/valve/cam/trans/diff/axles/etc.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Right, I meant without breaking things...what details would you need for an idea?

I apologize for not following the trend - or should an aquarist say the current - of the discussion, but I have a question that car guys/girls can answer. (I guess this thread's moderator will tell me to start a new thread and where, if that is the case.)
Situation: I have a laptop/notebook. On it is written: Input 19.5V 3.33A. On the original AC Adapter it also says 65W.
Question: can I connect the original adapter to the battery of my car or do I need to buy another one, specifically devised for in-car use?
- Problem is, they have 19V and not 19.5V and (much) greater wattage than 65W, which - I have been told - will shorten the lifespan of the laptop's batteries.
I'd play it safe and get an adapter that will undoubtedly keep your laptop from getting fried...

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right, I meant without breaking things...what details would you need for an idea?
You're missing the point. I can play this all day.

800hp. But it'll cost you $150k and an engine rebuild every 5k miles.

I'd be easier to say you have a car (x) with a motor (y) and you want more power with a budget of (z).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom