Car Guys/girls? - Page 40

Mii

david1978 said:
I have been a diesel mechanic all my life and finally got one to have fun with. Always been into cars but a gas engine to keep it meeting emissions is so limiting so only so much you can. Finally got a diesel truck. 2004 f250 6.0. Rebuilt injectors to 125%. Intake. 4" straight exhaust. Only successful trip down the 1/4 mile it ran 13.3 seconds on borrowed slicks. Running 33 11.5 mud diggers now. Right now I probably have about $5000 in the motor. Black smoke don't mean it's broke. Lol.
If emissions regulations are causing you grief maybe get an electric? Lots of power, INSANE torque, pretty much always in it's optimal power range regardless of rpm, if i ever did a drag car i would totally go electric, electric drag cars are crazy.

I'm really into Japanese tuner cars. At first i thought i was one of only a few people who where into both cars and fish but maybe these two hobbies are linked

fish 321

Mii said:
If emissions regulations are causing you grief maybe get an electric? Lots of power, INSANE torque, pretty much always in it's optimal power range regardless of rpm, if i ever did a drag car i would totally go electric, electric drag cars are crazy.
But electric cars don't go vroom vroom.

Mii said:
I'm really into Japanese tuner cars. At first i thought i was one of only a few people who where into both cars and fish but maybe these two hobbies are linked
Jdm tuners are cool, but then there are the ricers.

Mii

fish 321 said:
But electric cars don't go vroom vroom.
That is true, also electrics don't have stick shift (manual) transmissions, aka the most fun type if transmission. Because electric cars have such a wide power band, that they don't need to shift gears, which is both a blessing and a curse, as it results in a faster 0-60, but also means you can't go rowing through gears, which is a lot of fun.

DarkOne

coralbandit said:
I use a Battery Tender on my vehicles as I can not drive them all regularly . They are not chargers that will over charge your battery but instead keep your battery from becoming depleted keeping them perfectly charged ..
I have the one linked and the smaller .75a tender. I also have a Battery Minder which desulfates batteries and reconditions old batteries. It works better than Battery Tenders but I use all 3 for various motorcycles and car batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-1500-SmarTECHnology-Motorcycles/dp/B00Q3CM2QY/
Mii said:
That is true, also electrics don't have stick shift (manual) transmissions, aka the most fun type if transmission. Because electric cars have such a wide power band, that they don't need to shift gears, which is both a blessing and a curse, as it results in a faster 0-60, but also means you can't go rowing through gears, which is a lot of fun.
Some people don't like change. Shifting gears is fun but it's slow and no one can do it as fast as a modern auto dual clutch transmission or electric CVT.

My '98 M3 could do 0-60 in 5.2 sec. After I got a tune, it dropped to about 4.8 sec because the top speed in 2nd gear went from 58mph to 62mph so the 0.4 sec increase was from not having to shift to 3rd to get over 60mph. This was tested at Willow Springs race track. I had a friend that worked for European Car mag and they brought some testing gear so we played around. The 5.2 sec was the fasted time taken from car mags back then and the 4.8 sec was what my car actually did.

If I were to buy a sports car today, I would definitely get an automagic trasns if it was a true dual clutch system and no torque converter.

NBettas83

I've developed a very large interest in the Fiat 500, IDK why.

Mii

DarkOne said:
I have the one linked and the smaller .75a tender. I also have a Battery Minder which desulfates batteries and reconditions old batteries. It works better than Battery Tenders but I use all 3 for various motorcycles and car batteries.
https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Model-1500-SmarTECHnology-Motorcycles/dp/B00Q3CM2QY/

Some people don't like change. Shifting gears is fun but it's slow and no one can do it as fast as a modern auto dual clutch transmission or electric CVT.

My '98 M3 could do 0-60 in 5.2 sec. After I got a tune, it dropped to about 4.8 sec because the top speed in 2nd gear went from 58mph to 62mph so the 0.4 sec increase was from not having to shift to 3rd to get over 60mph. This was tested at Willow Springs race track. I had a friend that worked for European Car mag and they brought some testing gear so we played around. The 5.2 sec was the fasted time taken from car mags back then and the 4.8 sec was what my car actually did.

If I were to buy a sports car today, I would definitely get an automagic trasns if it was a true dual clutch system and no torque converter.
I would rather have a car i enjoy driving than making it less fun just to go a bit faster.

DarkOne

Mii said:
I would rather have a car i enjoy driving than making it less fun just to go a bit faster.
Paddle shifters are a lot of fun. You just crash at higher speeds :p

coralbandit

DarkOne said:
Paddle shifters are a lot of fun. You just crash at higher speeds :p
Paddle shifters are pretty handy if you have driven standard long enough to be tired of them [ and fun !] .
I shift when I want and drive auto when I want with the sport mode on the C6 .

John58ford

Only issue I have run into with electronic shifting (paddle or step) is the electronic nanny fighting the shift based on wheel speed. If I pull down to 2nd at 100+, it should be assumed I mean it, and failure to comply will produce significant under-steer, and possibly even excessive traction on entry leading to a stability issue. I wouldn't pull down to 2nd at speed if I didn't fully expect the engine to give the feedback required to scuff the tires in, and provide the right power band to exit the corner on the line I want to hold.

I've had issues with this in BMW, and Chevy made vehicles. I don't want to be stabbing the brake messing with my front tires traction circle and blow my line out because some enginerd says "hey, this rpm does not equal that wheel speed so don't shift when he tell you to".

Note: I won't argue auto cars don't have their place in traffic, eating cheeseburgers and yelling at your children while you check twitter and run over motorcycles. I won't argue that in a straight line with a high end set up you never plan to modify even the tire width on it can out shift a human. But I will say theres a major difference in the dual clutch manual-matics with air/electronic shifters that are actually just manual, and the trash they make so you can feel cool pushing a button leaving cars and coffee in an automatic car that even in "manual mode" decides what gear you are allowed to use. I can't drive one like that for fun, and I can't afford a dual clutch manual-matic with actuators so I guess that puts my track and toys firmly in the manual only camp.

Mii

i don't really care what transmission other people use, i just like manuals

MomeWrath

John58ford said:
Only issue I have run into with electronic shifting (paddle or step) is the electronic nanny fighting the shift based on wheel speed. If I pull down to 2nd at 100+, it should be assumed I mean it, and failure to comply will produce significant under-steer, and possibly even excessive traction on entry leading to a stability issue. I wouldn't pull down to 2nd at speed if I didn't fully expect the engine to give the feedback required to scuff the tires in, and provide the right power band to exit the corner on the line I want to hold.

I've had issues with this in BMW, and Chevy made vehicles. I don't want to be stabbing the brake messing with my front tires traction circle and blow my line out because some enginerd says "hey, this rpm does not equal that wheel speed so don't shift when he tell you to".

Note: I won't argue auto cars don't have their place in traffic, eating cheeseburgers and yelling at your children while you check twitter and run over motorcycles. I won't argue that in a straight line with a high end set up you never plan to modify even the tire width on it can out shift a human. But I will say theres a major difference in the dual clutch manual-matics with air/electronic shifters that are actually just manual, and the trash they make so you can feel cool pushing a button leaving cars and coffee in an automatic car that even in "manual mode" decides what gear you are allowed to use. I can't drive one like that for fun, and I can't afford a dual clutch manual-matic with actuators so I guess that puts my track and toys firmly in the manual only camp.
YESS! This! My BMW had a dual-clutch automatic with paddle shifters that I never used because I'd shift down, and she'd go thirty feet and shift up again. Nanny-shifting is a perfect way to put it.
Now, Maverick has this lovely feature that revs the engine to match your wheel speed when you downshift, which is nice for not throwing my dear husband against the dash when I downshift to go hard into a corner (although sadly usually it's just the corner onto the freeway ramp). But it also makes traffic less jolting when I'm constantly speeding up and slowing down. I got an automatic BMW because I thought I was tired of shifting gears on my sometimes-long commute, but it turns out I just needed a better reason to shift gears than I could find in a Civic. I'm sure I was doing something wrong before. When I first learned I went through 2 clutches on my '85 Fiero in three years, and I'm pretty certain because my ex rode it like crazy. So I'm leery of "feathering" as my husband puts it, because to me I can't see the difference between feathering and riding. Maybe one of yall can splain it to me.
Oh....and I got stickers. +10 HP...

Attachments

Katie993

I’ve always been into classic cars. Grew up going to multiple classic car shows every year, helping my dad with pretty much anything that needed fixed from trucks to tractors and implements (my brothers were always too busy), and we all had classic cars for our first vehicles. Mine was an ‘89 Chevy Luv. Then later, I had a ‘79 Grand Prix. Now I have a ‘76 Jeep J10. Love them! I don’t know everything about fixing them or working on them. Just enough to get me into trouble lol

MomeWrath said:
YESS! This! My BMW had a dual-clutch automatic with paddle shifters that I never used because I'd shift down, and she'd go thirty feet and shift up again. Nanny-shifting is a perfect way to put it.
Now, Maverick has this lovely feature that revs the engine to match your wheel speed when you downshift, which is nice for not throwing my dear husband against the dash when I downshift to go hard into a corner (although sadly usually it's just the corner onto the freeway ramp). But it also makes traffic less jolting when I'm constantly speeding up and slowing down. I got an automatic BMW because I thought I was tired of shifting gears on my sometimes-long commute, but it turns out I just needed a better reason to shift gears than I could find in a Civic. I'm sure I was doing something wrong before. When I first learned I went through 2 clutches on my '85 Fiero in three years, and I'm pretty certain because my ex rode it like crazy. So I'm leery of "feathering" as my husband puts it, because to me I can't see the difference between feathering and riding. Maybe one of yall can splain it to me.
Oh....and I got stickers. +10 HP...
Stickers definitely add more horsepower lol I think I know what you mean by feathering. If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, it basically is riding a bit but shouldn’t cause you to have to replace the clutch twice in three years. Somebody had to be riding the clutch fairly hard for that! That’s actually one of the last major fights my ex and I had lol him riding the brand new clutch I put in my Wrangler. I taught him how to drive a stick but that’s not how I taught him! Lol the look on my dads face when he found out my ex didn’t already know how to drive a manual was just priceless

MomeWrath

Katie993 said:
Stickers definitely add more horsepower lol I think I know what you mean by feathering. If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, it basically is riding a bit but shouldn’t cause you to have to replace the clutch twice in three years. Somebody had to be riding the clutch fairly hard for that! That’s actually one of the last major fights my ex and I had lol him riding the brand new clutch I put in my Wrangler. I taught him how to drive a stick but that’s not how I taught him! Lol
Ha I have a Wrangler too! Going from the Wrangler to the Mini and back in a day makes for some interesting stops and starts, I can tell you. Plus we have re-geared the Wrangler with 5.56 gears so it's like driving a dump truck. By the time the wheels go around once it's time to shift into 2nd gear.

Katie993

MomeWrath said:
Ha I have a Wrangler too! Going from the Wrangler to the Mini and back in a day makes for some interesting stops and starts, I can tell you. Plus we have re-geared the Wrangler with 5.56 gears so it's like driving a dump truck. By the time the wheels go around once it's time to shift into 2nd gear.
Haha! I bet that is odd!

86 ssinit

Yes it’s funny going from one clutch to another :). The Porsche is a 5 speed and the STI a 6. Unfortunately reverse is where 6 should be:rolleyes:. I drive the sti regularly so whenever I’m playing around in the porsche the wife says “Still no 6th gear”. And oh yeah it grinds.

Hanzla Khan

DarkOne said:
Do you have a multimeter? You can check the charge of your battery. It should be at a minimum of 12.2v.

If the battery is too low, you'll need to connect the jumpers and let the running car run for a few mins (10-20m) to charge the dead battery before it will start. Jumper cables can't pass the amperage needed to start a dead battery but it can boost a weak battery.
Yea so turns out that the battery was really dead. I connected the jumpers with another car and had to leave them for ~45mins in order for it to start. Been running just fine since, which means that the only reason it died was because it sat for too long.

Cheesecake

NBettas83 said:
I've developed a very large interest in the Fiat 500, IDK why.
My bro's got you covered ;).

1603121032908.png

DarkOne

So my car battery has been getting weak since I don't drive much. I bought a 25' jumper cable but it's a pain to use so I came across these little jumper kits. After doing some research, I decided to try one.

https://www.amazon.com/LOFTEK-20800mAh-Starter-Portable-Battery/dp/B0863CG2T7/

I know a lot of people aren't using their cars during this pandemic so there's a lot of dead/dying batteries out there.

86 ssinit

For a drive today before the rain
76F6C94B-EFFC-49AA-9ECA-66654B8DE218.jpeg

Mii

I'm not old enough to have a real car, but I play alot of racing games, both simulators like Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally, as well as "arcade" style racers like the Need For Speed series. anyway here are some pics of my main car in NFS Heat.

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_21_11 PM.png

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_21_27 PM.png

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_26_15 PM.png

NBettas83

Mii said:
I'm not old enough to have a real car, but I play alot of racing games, both simulators like Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally, as well as "arcade" style racers like the Need For Speed series. anyway here are some pics of my main car in NFS Heat.

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_21_11 PM.png

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_21_27 PM.png

Need for Speed™ Heat 10_22_2020 1_26_15 PM.png
Assetto Corsa Competizione looks amazing, I wish I could play it on this toaster computer though.

Top Bottom