Car Guys/girls? - Page 33

DarkOne

New Fish in Town said:
I'm sure this crowd will think this is cool even though these are 2 things that have no connection to each other. I had no other place to hang my VIR linear edge map, so I hung it next to my tank.
I drove VIR in a Bertil Roos open wheel car about 18 yrs ago.

New Fish in Town

DarkOne said:
I drove VIR in a Bertil Roos open wheel car about 18 yrs ago.
Those photos are from the 2018 IMSA race. I was hoping to get to a race again at VIR this year, but they aren't selling tickets and probably won't because of covid19.

New Fish in Town

Here's a cool story about a 6 year old boy. This car won LMP2 at the Rolex 24 today.

coralbandit

Changed the spoiler on the vette today .
It had factory black but I got a killer deal on a paint matched one on corvette forum .
They even have 'How-To' section which made the change take about 1 beer !
Couple pics of the process;

86 ssinit

Come on! You call that a spoiler? Now these are spoilers!!
nice job though !

Betta'sAnonymous

86 ssinit said:
nice job though !
Yuck!! Lol

John58ford

86 ssinit said:
nice job though !
Negative, that's one spoiler, and one wing (airfoil). And the wing in this example is debatable as far as effectiveness, the hundreds of pounds of down force required for a wing to justify the added drag on a 4400 lb car would shred the factory trunk hinges, crack the spot welds and make the Subaru into rattle box, more than usual . Weld the trunk, or reinforced and pin it, put some diffusers (baby spoilers lol) above the back window to move the pocket and it is then elevated out of the realm of noisy shopping carts. Maybe a splitter and bumper diffuser to complete the effect...

Now that spoiler, that's a fine example of inducing turbulence in a specific location to close the aerodynamic envelope and smooth the rest of the vehicles laminar flow.

coralbandit

86 ssinit said:
nice job though !
Most the vette guys frown on high spoilers / wings .
I would have a 'whale tail' also if I had a porsche .
Now if winter would just go away !
She's been sleeping beauty since November ..
I have gotten the crossfire out a couple times lately .

Its spoiler goes up and down electronically by my choice or automatically after 60+MPH .

86 ssinit

Lol Had to get technical! Well for your information it is a spoiler! Look that what its called in the brochure . And that’s by Subaru so it can’t be wrong .

coralbandit said:
Most the vette guys frown on high spoilers / wings .
I would have a 'whale tail' also if I had a porsche .
Now if winter would just go away !
She's been sleeping beauty since November ..
I have gotten the crossfire out a couple times lately .

Its spoiler goes up and down electronically by my choice or automatically after 60+MPH .
Most of the vette guys also frown on high speeds :eek:.

Betta'sAnonymous

86 ssinit said:
Lol Had to get technical! Well for your information it is a spoiler! Look that what its called in the brochure . And that’s by Subaru so it can’t be wrong .

What was that about hobbies and 80 year old men? That's why!

John58ford

86 ssinit said:
Look that what its called in the brochure
No wonder it doesn't work, they asked the engineers to spec them a spoiler and the assembly guys added legs . Actually it's not surprising, I think the older ones were dual element with the lower foil mounted flush, so it would have been technically correct. I don't know when they stopped the dual element spoiler wing combo, but I see one on a 2004 wrx sti locally in the regular. Why change your rpo codes and invoices for an asthetic?

Can't argue with the prurpose based definitions though, spoilers spoil the air causing turbulence to close around the car and wings are designed to add force in a specific direction. SCCA has class based rules and definitions in the shop manual for aero mods, and nascar (gawd I can't believe I'm referencing nascar) had specific definitions for spoilers vs wings for road vs circle track. I'm sure a more educated car nerd could quote sir aero guy the 12th or someone but that's all I got lol. I can't imagine that big ole push handle simply closing the envelope from 6" above the lid (if it were designed on a track vehicle, not a commuter box). They do still look cool though.

Cheesecake

Oh my goodness LOOK AT THIS TRUCK I SAW TODAY!!!!

IT'S SO CUUUUUUUTE I WANT IT!!!
Its also ELECTRIC!

Betta'sAnonymous

Cheesecake said:
Oh my goodness LOOK AT THIS TRUCK I SAW TODAY!!!!

IT'S SO CUUUUUUUTE I WANT IT!!!
Its also ELECTRIC!
I think my truck kicked this truck for field goal practice.

John58ford

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I think my truck kicked this truck for field goal practice.
When the batteries die they just call a buddy with a real truck and lift it into the bed with a few friends.

Betta'sAnonymous

John58ford said:
When the batteries die they just call a buddy with a real truck and lift it into the bed with a few friends.
This is why i keep ramps and tow ropes in the back

86 ssinit

Stop they just push it home! Jump in the bed and ride it like a skateboard .

Betta'sAnonymous

86 ssinit said:
Stop they just push it home! Jump in the bed and ride it like a skateboard .
Could at least have hoverboard tech.

Cheesecake

:rolleyes: you guys.
86 ssinit said:
Frown on? Dude they put sticky notes on the speedo so they aren't tempted to go faster then 35 MPH.

coralbandit

Cheesecake said:
:rolleyes: you guys.

Frown on? Dude they put sticky notes on the speedo so they aren't tempted to go faster then 135 MPH.
Fixed it for me !

86 ssinit

coralbandit said:
Fixed it for me !
Well Tom you want to be careful! I understand those caught not following the vette rules may have there privilegesbe removed! Even the free recharge of the in car defibrillator! :eek: :eek:

jake37

Having read a bit of this thread - esp the most recent few posts I have come to the conclusion that if everyone would simply walk and cease to own cars (this is esp feasible for new yorkers) these issues would be resolved. No car no spoilers no sticky no pictures of spoilers AND everyone would get more exercise something many could use.

Basil

jake37 said:
Having read a bit of this thread - esp the most recent few posts I have come to the conclusion that if everyone would simply walk and cease to own cars (this is esp feasible for new yorkers) these issues would be resolved. No car no spoilers no sticky no pictures of spoilers AND everyone would get more exercise something many could use.
Better yet, we should just all ride horses. That would only increase my commuting time to 4-5 hours one way lol!

jake37

Probably longer since you would have to stop and shovel the poop.

Basil said:
Better yet, we should just all ride horses. That would only increase my commuting time to 4-5 hours one way lol!

Basil

jake37 said:
Probably longer since you would have to stop and shovel the poop.
Nah. It’s great fertilizer! Plus if it only took me 4-5 hrs. to get to work, I’d be going too fast to stop.

John58ford

jake37 said:
But try telling someone from rock glen or cullen NY (or any of the towns on my half of the country) to walk to the grocery store. Just because they grow and raise the food that goes in the walking distance stores in the city doesn't mean they want a whole foods or some other junk built in the middle of their pastures/field/ranges. We have counties in my state larger than entire states (okanogan 5,268 sq mi vs connecticut 4,845) , try walking to the county seat to get your groceries and maybe you'll make it home next month.

Now spoilers, that's just so the farmer/rancher/mountain guide/fishing guide/or other person that just doesn't want to share the same 2 sq ft of actual ground surface with 5 other people, ahem New York City, can get to the store 30-50 miles away in style .

In the case of the modern sti, you can push it through the store with the big wing and use the whole thing as a shopping cart, and the spoiler on the Porsche makes for an excellent truck bed in a pinch .

Personally, I like to rip through the mountains to get to work or go shopping on a motorcycle, the diffuser on my helmet, and winglets in the front cowl help the flow around my head and un-fog the visor better, I have done some experimenting with race bodywork to try and get a little more efficient and lost that airflow.

86 ssinit

jake37 said:
Hey don’t you have a tank to clean!!! .

jake37

Can't you just walk next door and pick some corn and beans ?

John58ford said:
But try telling someone from rock glen or cullen NY (or any of the towns on my half of the country) to walk to the grocery store. Just because they grow and raise the food that goes in the walking distance stores in the city doesn't mean they want a whole foods or some other junk built in the middle of their pastures/field/ranges. We have counties in my state larger than entire states (okanogan 5,268 sq mi vs connecticut 4,845) , try walking to the county seat to get your groceries and maybe you'll make it home next month.

Now spoilers, that's just so the farmer/rancher/mountain guide/fishing guide/or other person that just doesn't want to share the same 2 sq ft of actual ground surface with 5 other people, ahem New York City, can get to the store 30-50 miles away in style .

In the case of the modern sti, you can push it through the store with the big wing and use the whole thing as a shopping cart, and the spoiler on the Porsche makes for an excellent truck bed in a pinch .

Personally, I like to rip through the mountains to get to work or go shopping on a motorcycle, the diffuser on my helmet, and winglets in the front cowl help the flow around my head and un-fog the visor better, I have done some experimenting with race bodywork to try and get a little more efficient and lost that airflow.

86 ssinit

Basil said:
What are you crazy!! Add all those horses! Isn’t it all the cows farting that destroying the ozone!! Some people!!!

coralbandit

Our 2500 acres of rich muckland soil yields a bounty of crops, most notably onions, earning Elba the title of “Onion Capital of the World.”
We are strong agricultural state ..

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom