Capekateskid's betta photos

capekate
My daughter asked me to post some photos of her new lil guy, Fishee love me do! She took them using her cell phone, but you can get the picture!
Later she will use her good camera and take some close ups.

I'm so proud of her for rescuing the little guy from his horrible existence in a vase. (Well.. actually I'm proud of her anyway... she really is a great kid!) :;a2
~ kate

Blub
Hi!

I heard about that from her... What a lovely fish. We're all proud of her!

capekate
He is a cutie for sure. She was trying to figure out what type of Betta he is. I'm hoping for some close up photos so that we can tell. She says that he is a crown tail, but I can't tell in those photos and I haven't seen it in person. She lives about three hours away from me.
So ..hoping for new photos.. if she reads this, I hope she takes her camera out and tries for some. ;D
Also, I have a lot of silk plants laying around from my tanks that were extra so I'm going to put some in the mail for her.

thanks for stopping by and checking her new lil guy out! ;D

~ kate

Blub
Hi!

From that photo he looks like a regular Betta. Like mine!

chickadee
I am saying there is too much finnage for a Crowntail. I would say a Delta perhaps. A Crowntails fins never really reach the stage of hanging down the way this one does. It also does not really look like a Veiltail to me. Again too much finnage. See if she can get a better picture and while I do not often do this perhaps a flare induced by a mirror would help but ONLY for one picture.
Also I could not help but notice the mini-heater in the tank. I do not know the size of her tank but is she aware that these heaters are not for tanks over 4 gallons generally and they do not have controls or do more than raise the temperature of the tank maybe 2 degrees above room temperature. This may not be warm enough for the betta. She needs keep a close eye on the small thermometer to make sure the temperature is staying above 78 degrees F or 26 degrees C. but below 81 degrees F or 28 degrees C. Bettas actually have a very narrow threshold for temperatures that they do really well in. Otherwise they are at risk for the cold water diseases like ich, velvet and finrot (much below 78 and they are in serious danger of constipation as their metabolism lowers also); or above that temperature range it has been discovered that they tend to raise their metabolism to the point they live their lives very quickly and die prematurely. They only time to raise the temperature above this is when they are suffering from one of the diseases where heat is the treatment to rid them of the disease, but it should never go below this range. I know they are unheated in the stores but I feel and it has been stated that this may be why so many of them seem to become sick right away when we get them home. The disease had started at the store and did not become full blown until they got home and someone began to notice the symptoms.

I am not scolding but I would hate for anything to happen to the darling little guy and perhaps it can be easily remedied.

Rose
:

CapeKateskid
thanks chicadee for the good eye my house is VERY warm...lol.. I hate being cold. his tank is above one of my heaters so I think that helps..and I am a freak about the temp. it now says 80 even. I know once the warm weather comes and I use my ac ill have to get a bigger heater. trust me, my moms been on top of things. ill try for a better pic.I lost my hookup for my pc so I can't send pics from my camera ill try some more with my cell thanks guys!!

capekate
HI Rose,

The hydor minI raises the tank temp up to 5*. tho it doesn't have a regulator on the heater, her betta does not have to worry about a higher temperature.
With the apt being so warm, her temperature is stable in the tank for now.
She is going to get a higher wattage heater in the future, but for now the hydor will do. Considering that this poor fish was in a dirty tiny vase,with no heater or filter, its rescue on a short notice was the best thing to do with the little bit of funds that she had available til the next payday.
I hope that she doesn't get discouraged or feel that she hasnt done something right, in buying the smaller hydor heater. The lil guy will do just fine for now...
~ kate

chickadee
No it is not my intent to make her feel discouraged or upset. But it is part of what I do to point out what may be a problem later. I make suggestions based on the facts to the best of my knowledge. I am not criticizing her, but trying to help her. I did not say that she needed to run right out and buy a new heater, just to watch the temperature. She says that she is doing so and this is all that is necessary. If the tank is staying in normal limits and the fish is not suffering any ill effects, then there is no problem. I feel I would be not doing what I am here for if I did not at least make the suggestion. I am so sorry if you feel I was being critical. This was NOT my intent.

Rose

armadillo
Thanks for the info, Rose. It's always good to be reminded of their exact temp requirements. I agree that the minI heaters can be really hectic and a little unreliable. I swear by Aquatic Nature heaters. They're digital, show the temp, and extremely accurate. Also, they come in a wide range of sizes and are affordable. Anyways, my :.

CapeKatesKid, that is a huge tank for a betta. You are giving him a piece of heaven. Thanks so much for being so generous on the water volume. It warms my heart to see himn so well housed! He's very very very pretty too! Great find. That betta must not know what's hit him to land in such a good home, especially after a vase. Plus with your mom in the area, that fish will have no want! Well done on the rescue. If only every betta could live in such a castle!

Will you be getting him fake (or real) plants and a little ornament? They're really cute when they start exploring, LOL.

CapeKateskid
Thanks Laure-anne!!!
I'm so excited to have him!! he loooooves his little rock house thing... I wasn't sure what else to add, I didnt know if they liked lots of goodies in there. I saw a really nice boat with all kinds of entry holes I was gonna get..but I was afraid he might get his fins stuck. right now I only have one silk plant and my mom is sending me some of hers. ill have to give my mom a call tho because the water seems to be a bit foggy..I rinsed all the gravel out before adding it.. I can't tell if its the lighting making it look that way because when I took the top off and looked in it seemed fine. I also added water conditioner when I filled the tank. ill have to see what she thinks... other then that things are looking good my "small" thermomiter reads 79 still so that's good. thanks for checking out Fishee Love Me Do

MissMTS
HI Tina,
I just added a live plant to my tank and my betta loves swimming through it. I'll try to look up the name for you if you are interested. It kinda adds something for my little guy to do in that tank. Plus, it is a nice "soft" decoration for the tank so that his fins don't get ripped up. Your pics are great. He is a very cute little betta. Foggy water can be normal when you set up a new tank. It should go away in a couple of days.

chickadee
They love to have things to explore through and the general rule is a true rule of thumb. If you can put your thumb through the holes in the decoration then the betta can get through the holes safely too. If your thumb will not go in and out easily then neither will Mr. or Ms. Betta The decorations should have either room for him to turn around in or two or more exits as they do not swim backwards without problems. If you wonder about the texture of something get a nylon stocking and give a slight rub with it over the decoration and any little places that catch on the stocking can be sanded slightly to prevent the bettas fins from catching on them.

Most decorations you buy for aquariums are safe for bettas as long as the holes pass the thumb test.

They LOVE plants of all kinds. Most of mine sleep in a tall plant close to the surface so they do not have to swim far at night to get a breath through their Labyrinth organ.

Rose

CapeKateskid
thanks rose and kate!!
I'm heading to the pet store to pick up a few things. I think I might do live plants but ill wait till u get back to me kate..lol.. other wise ill drive the pet store people nuts.. his tank is very long and he swims every inch of it. ill mix the plants up get some that are close to the top and some at the bottom. great source of information this fishlore.. ehehehe

LuvaBetta
I think it does the pet store people good to be driven nuts at least once a day! Love Me Do is a beautiful Fishie! How big is that tank? Is it one of the 6.6g bookcase types?

"I need more bettas!" is the only disease you can get from a betta - and boy, is it contagious!

CapeKateskid
yes its the 6.6 bookcase one.. he loves it!! I want another tank soooo bad but I wanna make sure I know what I'm doin..lol.. my boyfriend wants a blue betta so ill surprise him in a few months.

COBettaCouple
Congrats on picking a new Betta boy! We love those 6.6g tanks and have been upgrading our Bettas to them. He looks like a beautiful butterfly delta or super-delta veilteil. ;D

armadillo
Wow, CapeKate'sKid. You're really spoiling him. He's going to be one happy boy.

capekate
Congrats on picking a new Betta boy! We love those 6.6g tanks and have been upgrading our Bettas to them. He looks like a beautiful butterfly delta or super-delta veilteil. ;D

HI Dave,
while tina was shopping for a tank we were on the phone. When she came across the bookshelf tank, I mentioned your photos of them and how nice they are. I love how much longer they are than the ten gal tanks, and not as high. ;D
I also thought that his pattern looked like a butterfly. ;D

~ kate

HI Tina
sorry to hear that your new visa-therm heater was broke when you brought it home. Did you get a chance to go and replace it yet?

~ kate

COBettaCouple
I would love to see all stores carrying those tanks instead of the prisons for bettas. He'll be so happy in there. All 3 of our Bettas that have moved into them are so much happier and loving the long run they get now. And the new toys, of course.

He's got such beautiful fins and will definitely be a fin-dragger with how full and heavy they are. Hopefully he's got the flat glass marbles? We look forward to lots more pics of him! ;D

HI Dave,
while tina was shopping for a tank we were on the phone. When she came across the bookshelf tank, I mentioned your photos of them and how nice they are. I love how much longer they are than the ten gal tanks, and not as high. ;D
I also thought that his pattern looked like a butterfly. ;D

~ kate

Blub
Hi!

How much are the bookshel;ff tanks? Do you know if they do them in the UK?:-\

COBettaCouple
They're $50 at the Petco chain store here. That's the only store that I've found them at, unfortunately.

Blub
Hi!

Great. That's £25 - and I can't go to Petco to get one... Decent price though! Guess you need a heater & filter though.

COBettaCouple
It comes with a filter. We just add a heater and aeration to them, decor & substrate and it's a betta dream. ;D

finmama
Very pretty! I bet he's thrilled to have all that space!!

Blub
Hi!

You are making me Jealous Dave... I've seen Sponge filters for £2.50 over here ($1.25) - and an aistone costs literally nothing!

chickadee
Sorry but 2.5 Pound is more like $5.00 I think

Rose

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
RoseyFlower10
Replies
Views