CapeKates 29 gal tank & photos

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thought I better move my photos to the right folder instead of where I had them in the 'whats in my tank' folder. I believe this is the right place for them.
2 dalmation mollies
2 dwarf gourami
1 male betta
3 red wag platy
2 sunburst platy
1 teeny silver tipped shark cat.

mbztech

Reaction score
Tank looks great and full of life...

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thank you! Its all new to me, the last tank was in the late 70's and then mid 80's. Alot of education and resources are available now. Internet forums.. sites. This site and forum has been a wonderful tool for my education and I read everything I can and learning everyday!
My tank is what i would call kinda 'washed' out.. and I have seen so many really beautiful set ups here.. But.. its ok.. and over time I can change things out and add more color here and there. My husband just bought a saber tooth tiger skull with scary mouth and big teeth!! YIKES! there goes the serenity I was looking for! lol.. I will leave it for awhile.. and change it out for a rock ledge at some point!
have a great day! ;D

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have defiinatly seen many tanks that put mine to shame. To put a tank together really well, you have to have some kind of artistic touch I think!

---Of which I have none

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks good!  I really like all the plants. The plastic bag is an especially nice touch... 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice. You do know that your silver tipped shark is also called a columbian shark and they grow to be about 10" and need saltwater. I had one but it got to be about 4-5" and I had to get rid of it since it ate a few of my fish(or at least that is what I am assuming since they still haven't appeared yet.
Tom

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks for checking out my tank! ;D
LOL.. yeh the plastic bag... heheh great deco eh? Well had to show how very curious the fish were when 'new comers' showed up! they all came around checking the fish out. so funny...
TOM.. hmmm didnt know that it was a columbian shark. or that it needed salt water. That is strange, jeesh.. got it the same time as the betta and the mollies, you'd think the LFS wouldve pointed that out to me? Well it will take awhile before it gets to be too big for my tank. And when it does, I have a friend with a large tank, who Im sure wouldnt mind adopting it at that point. So far the platy and the mollies are larger than it, and it doesnt seem to notice anyone else in the tank. Its in love with the bubble wand and spends all its time running thru it. thanks for letting me know!
Im going to work on the artistic touch on my ten gal tank, that will go in my art room. So the touch is there, lol.. just not in my tank! Didnt think that my 'manly man".. would go for the tropical colors and deco in the living room. But i will have free reign in my art room! ;D

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Love the background, love the plants and I especially love the fish. I'm diggin the dalmation mollies.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
TOM.. hmmm didnt know that it was a columbian shark. or that it needed salt water. That is strange, jeesh.. got it the same time as the betta and the mollies, you'd think the LFS wouldve pointed that out to me? Well it will take awhile before it gets to be too big for my tank. And when it does, I have a friend with a large tank, who Im sure wouldnt mind adopting it at that point. So far the platy and the mollies are larger than it, and it doesnt seem to notice anyone else in the tank. Its in love with the bubble wand and spends all its time running thru it. thanks for letting me know!
Im going to work on the artistic touch on my ten gal tank, that will go in my art room. So the touch is there, lol.. just not in my tank! Didnt think that my 'manly man".. would go for the tropical colors and deco in the living room. But i will have free reign in my art room! ;D
They didn't want to lose the sale probably.. the tank looks great and I love the platys & Betta especially (my 2 fav. fish) Your Betta's getting along with everyone fine? He's a handsome red.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The betta... hes great! Wish that breed was able to tolorate each other in the same tank, Id have much more! He reallly is getting along with everyone else. He ignores the platys and mollies..the shark cat ignores everyone. I got the betta on saturday with the mollies and the cat and have been observing closely for any aggresive behavior in any of them. Its interesting to watch the betta with the male dwarf gourami. They both seem to be very interested in what the other is doing. They will in turn follow each other around. The betta will do a few dances around the gourami and fluff out that bottom gill/thingy under his mouth and then swim away. Im sure its a sign of threatening. But so far neither of them have come to any physical contact. If the betta was aggravating the gourami, the gourami sure isnt showing any signs of being threatened. It just goes along its business. The two mollies are a riot to watch. Not sure if they are a pair or two females at this point. But they hang out together very well and actually seem to play. They do hopscotch over each other and do a sort of mimic dance. When one goes up, the other goes down.. and seems to mimic each other doing just the opposite of what the other is doing. They really make me laugh. I really like the pattern in these dalmations and they add a different element to the tank. The platys.. well they are kinda hanging out at the top of the tank, some of them in the grass that is floating up there. Im not sure of how happy they are to have more fish brought in, but at times they will all swim around. Just not as active as they were before. Im setting up the ten gal tank and will most likely move the platys to that tank and let them have their own space, but will miss them in this tank when I do.
The shark issue: well my husband really likes him and when he gets home from work I will let him know the new information such as the need for salt water etc etc. and we will have to decide whether to bring him/her back to the store. I know he will be dissappointed. But will understand under the circumstances.
Will I ever do any housework again?? ****.. I seem to be mesmerized by my fishys! ;D

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Absolutely beautiful combination of fish there. Great job on the tank, as a whole. I've never seen the dalmation mollies before. Those are really stunning. I fell in love with another male betta over the weekend, but didn't get him. I just might have to introduce him to my 30 gallon. I have a 10 gallon female betta sorority tank and a 2 gallon with my male, Jack.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LyndaB said:
Absolutely beautiful combination of fish there. Great job on the tank, as a whole. I've never seen the dalmation mollies before. Those are really stunning. I fell in love with another male betta over the weekend, but didn't get him. I just might have to introduce him to my 30 gallon. I have a 10 gallon female betta sorority tank and a 2 gallon with my male, Jack.
Hello LyndaB~ thank you. It seems that the female betta gets overlooked at times. The male being so flashy. But there are some beautiful female bettas out there. I have seen a all yellow one that I really would have been happy with. I wonder if i can add a female or two to the ten gal platy tank? Since I cant have them in with the male. or could I? I dont want the females harassed tho... what do you think? I agree the dalmation are stunning. And they are a wonderful community tank addition ;D
~ kate

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Great pics, your fish are beautiful! I bet they love having all of those plants!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
Hello FLBETTACOUPLE
here are a few photos of the betta and the male gourami doing the 'dance'....
That's great! I hear a call for an online vid of that dance.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
capekate said:
Hello FLBETTACOUPLE
here are a few photos of the betta and the male gourami doing the 'dance'....
That's great!  I hear a call for an online vid of that dance.
I can do that! I just need to research on how to add it to the forum, or do i need a link from somewhere like youtube? On the betta/gourami issue, they are still obsessed with each other. Strange, tho it prob makes sense it seems that the betta is only interested in the male gourami. The gourami's color really darkens to a deep blue when the betta is near. Tho it hasnt come to blows as of yet, Im hoping that the gourami isnt getting too stressed by the chase. The female gourami is now being left alone by the male as a result. Im hoping that the betta can continue to stay in this community tank.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
what i did was make an account on google video & youtube, then uploaded our videos there to each of those sites, then put the link to them in posts here.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you! Is youtube a free site btw?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
Thank you! Is youtube a free site btw?
yea, it's free on both sites to make an account & upload vids.

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thank you! I will do that at some point today. Heading to the LFS for some gravel and plants for the 10 gallon set up first. yeaaa ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
thank you! I will do that at some point today. Heading to the LFS for some gravel and plants for the 10 gallon set up first. yeaaa ;D
while you're there could you pick me up some otos? have fun and best of luck with your tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom