OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Tom, Thank you!
I would like to add a fish or two in with him. He seems lonely after leaving the community tank he was in. He didnt bother the mollies or the platys but not sure if this would change since he no longer has the dwarf gouramI to chase around anymore. Any suggestions on what kind of fish would be compatible with him in a ten gal tank? I personally love the barbs. would that work?
thanks ,kate

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thanks Tom,
I thought of moving the three male platys that I have in the 29 gallon over to the 10 gallon with him. That would leave in the 29 gallon for now, 1 female dwarf gourami, 2 female platy, 2 female mollies. But guess I better wait on the cycling process in the 10 before I do.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
cool tank.. I love the way you set up the 'palace' in his palace. ;D

Corys or otos would probably get along great with him, especially corys - the friend we had to give some of our corys to told me today that her female betta has become real friendly with them and even sleeps beside one at night.

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FLBettaCouple said:
cool tank.. I love the way you set up the 'palace' in his palace.  ;D

Corys or otos would probably get along great with him, especially corys - the friend we had to give some of our corys to told me today that her female betta has become real friendly with them and even sleeps beside one at night.
Thank you! ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very tool betta tank! I'm sure your Betta loves it (remember when it was sitting in 1/2 cup of water in that heartless fish store?)

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella said:
Very tool betta tank! I'm sure your Betta loves it (remember when it was sitting in 1/2 cup of water in that heartless fish store?)
Yes,, Isabella..
Its a very sad thing indeed. And to think.. these poor male bettas have been 'alone' since birth! My guy seems to be very happy and adjusted in his new home, after I took him out of the community 29 gallon tank. I am hard pressed to want to get another fish for him. One reason for company and the stimulation. I'm hoping he is not too bored. So maybe two cory cats at some point for company. For now he is the king of his castle.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2 or 3 Corys would be great if you decide to add them. Just have a plan for feeding if the Betta decides to like their food.

Radcliffe

Reaction score
I have a betta in with danios, and for a while cory cats, but now 3 ottos. The betta completely ignores and is slightly slower than his tank mates so they all get on fine.
Strangely, it is my one little feeder guppy that is the big ole bully!

lovely lovely tank!

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Radcliffe said:
I have a betta in with danios, and for a while cory cats, but now 3 ottos.  The betta completely ignores and is slightly slower than his tank mates so they all get on fine.
Strangely, it is my one little feeder guppy that is the big ole bully!

lovely lovely tank!
danios are pretty cute lil guys! But wow.. they sure can swim around a tank fast eh?? lol.. Cory cats are ok.. but the ones at the LFS just don't strike me as what it is I'm looking for. I wish we had a better selection at the LFS of corys. I know there are some kewl ones out there!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
danios are pretty cute lil guys! But wow.. they sure can swim around a tank fast eh?? lol.. Cory cats are ok.. but the ones at the LFS just don't strike me as what it is I'm looking for. I wish we had a better selection at the LFS of corys. I know there are some kewl ones out there!
Yea, there are some great corys and they really can be playful little fish to watch plus very hard working at cleaning. is a good place to find cory cat info.

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
g'morning!
thank you... I will check out that site for more info on the corys. I will have to look at them alittle closer at the LFS. I really would like at least another fish, so with the corycats, I guess I can do 2 in the 10 gallon with the betta. But wouldnt want more than that in there.
I'm going to the store today its about a 50+ mile round trip for me, so can't go as often as I would like. But.. going for the master tester!! YEA! can't wait. ;D
My favorite shopping store heheh...
The water in the 29 has cleared up and is crystal clear! The fish are all doing fantastic. the nitrate reading was just under 20 and the nitrite was almost at zero.Still doing regular water changes. Ph is always at 6.5 I can't wait for the true test with the master kit. That will tell the whole story!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
capekate said:
g'morning!
thank you... I will check out that site for more info on the corys. I will have to look at them alittle closer at the LFS. I really would like at least another fish, so with the corycats, I guess I can do 2 in the 10 gallon with the betta. But wouldnt want more than that in there.
I'm going to the store today its about a 50+ mile round trip for me, so can't go as often as I would like. But.. going for the master tester!! YEA! can't wait. ;D
My favorite shopping store heheh...
The water in the 29 has cleared up and is crystal clear! The fish are all doing fantastic. the nitrate reading was just under 20 and the nitrite was almost at zero.Still doing regular water changes. Ph is always at 6.5 I can't wait for the true test with the master kit. That will tell the whole story!
How'd it go at the store? Did you get new corys?

OP
C

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
timmy-man said:
hahaha,
nice,
I have that same exact heater :]]
Tooo funny... an oldie but goodie.. from hertz. I got it along with the ten gal tank and the vintage pagoda from a yard sale a few summers ago.

g'morning flbettacouple...
No I didnt go yesterday as I wanted to. Decided to save on the gas, cuz that's where I have to be on wed. anyway. So will do all the errands at once. Still it was hard for me to make that decision. Since my husband says I am now a women obsessed! ****.. But alas.. I let self control take over and use the better judgement. I think I will just get the tester before adding more fish at this point.
OHHH btw... one of the male sunburst playts was just a awful bully.. chasing the other two males all over the place, picking at them, and the females too. So I decided to take him out and put him in with the betta. It took awhile to catch the rascal.. He knew I was gunning just for him lol.. hiding in the plants etc etc. But I got him! and he is now in the betta tank... doing just fine. Of course when I come near the tank he hides, where he didnt do that before. But he will get over it. The betta ignores him, but I feel better now. They are both eating..and fine. So I think that the platy and the betta are fine for the 10 gal. I'm working on getting two angels in my 29gal. But first want to make sure the water conditions are right.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lol.. yea, they'll do that after you catch them. Sometimes when 1 fish is a bully like that you can take him out for a while and then put him back in and he'll behave better as he's lost his position in the pecking order but that doesn't always work. If you decide to keep him in with the betta, watch for signs of loneliness since the platys sometimes get like that & die, but he might just be fine on his own.. time will tell there.

It is hard to wait for a trip to the LPS.. ours is on the other side of town so it has to wait for other reasons to go over there. It was really hard when I saw Angel on a Saturday but couldn't take her home then and had to wait until monday to see if she was still there.

New Threads