Cant tell how much Nitrites I have

tuggythetugboat

I've been cycling my take for about 3 weeks now and am at the nitrite stage. I'm not sure how much nitrite I have, does anyone know? What should I do if my nitrite is high? I've done a 50% water change and didn't notice much difference. I also do not have any nitrite in my tap water and am using prime.
API Test

Patman0519

You look to be close,let it fall back down and then test again,see if you have nitrate with no nitrites at all and no ammonia.
B.t.w the a.p.i master kit will throw false positives for ammonia at .25 just to keep in mind

Upvote 0

alven

To me, your nitrites look around 2ppm which is fine. You also shouldn't be doing water changes right now, unless absolutely necessary. You just have to sit back and wait for the nitrite-eating bacteria to do their stuff.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

To me, your nitrites look around 2ppm which is fine. You also shouldn't be doing water changes right now, at all. You just have to sit and wait for the nitrite-eating bacteria to do their stuff.
Okay, noted, thank you so much. Also do you know if it will be a problem adding co2 injection, I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.

Upvote 0

alven

Okay, noted, thank you so much. Also do you know if it will be a problem adding co2 injection, I'm planning on installing it tomorrow.

I'm not entirely sure, and I don't want to give you false info. You should wait for what others have to say, sorry..

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

I'm not entirely sure, and I don't want to give you false info. You should wait for what others have to say, sorry..
Okay no problem. Will high nitrate stall the cycle? Look to be between 80-160

Upvote 0

alven

Okay no problem. Will high nitrate stall the cycle? Look to be between 80-160

Again, I'm not entirely sure. I have a possible answer, but I don't want to misinform you. :( mattgirl will know exactly what to do. You should wait for her reply.

I will say this though, nitrates are usually a sign that the nitrite-eating bacteria is working in your cycle. However, there have also been cases where people have actually had nitrates in their tap water. Therefore, have you tested your tap water/water supply for nitrates?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

The answer to the question Fisch asked will determine my recommendations. :)

High nitrites/nitrates alone shouldn't stall a cycle.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

The answer to the question Fisch asked will determine my recommendations. :)

High nitrites/nitrates alone shouldn't stall a cycle.
Yes this is a fishless cycle. And noted, I won't do any more water changes toll the cycle is done. If the pH does any lower (from adding CO2 injection) will there be any problems or should it just take a little longer to cycle?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Yes this is a fishless cycle. And noted, I won't do any more water changes toll the cycle is done. If the pH does any lower (from adding CO2 injection) will there be any problems or should it just take a little longer to cycle?
Just keep feeding the bacteria. As long as the ammonia you add continues to go down the cycle is moving forward. If it stops going down it will be time to do a water change.

Is there a specific reason for adding CO2 at this point in the cycling process?

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

Just keep feeding the bacteria. As long as the ammonia you add continues to go down the cycle is moving forward. If it stops going down it will be time to do a water change.

Okay sounds good, I believe the fluval stratum leeches ammonia for awhile so that and the decaying plants have been feeding the bacteria. I'm adding CO2 to start some carpeting plants and help my other plants grow faster and stay healthier.

The tank should cycle fine even if the PH goes down to 6?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Okay sounds good, I believe the fluval stratum leeches ammonia for awhile so that and the decaying plants have been feeding the bacteria. I'm adding CO2 to start some carpeting plants and help my other plants grow faster and stay healthier.

The tank should cycle fine even if the PH goes down to 6?
gotcha. as long as you understand both pros and cons of running CO2 all should be well.

From what I've read if the pH goes that low it will cycle but could take a very long time. It would probably be best not to let it get and stay that low.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

gotcha. as long as you understand both pros and cons of running CO2 all should be well.

From what I've read if the pH goes that low it will cycle but could take a very long time. It would probably be best not to let it get and stay that low.
I might just wait to add the co2. I diluted my nitrite test and got 2.0+ nitrite even though I only put in 1/4 aquarium water and the rest tap. Should I continue on the cycle or do a water change.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I might just wait to add the co2. I diluted my nitrite test and got 2.0+ nitrite even though I only put in 1/4 aquarium water and the rest tap. Should I continue on the cycle or do a water change.
I would hold off on the water change for now unless you see your pH dropping below 7

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

I would hold off on the water change for now unless you see your pH dropping below 7
Alright, I though over 5ppm nitrate will stall a cycle though?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Alright, I though over 5ppm nitrate will stall a cycle though?
Normally it won't. It takes more than just one high number to stall a cycle. I have seen them stall when both nitrites and nitrates are off the chart, the pH drops and a water change hasn't been done since the cycle started. Even then the cycle doesn't always stall. You are not there.

Upvote 0

tuggythetugboat

Normally it won't. It takes more than just one high number to stall a cycle. I have seen them stall when both nitrites and nitrates are off the chart, the pH drops and a water change hasn't been done since the cycle started. Even then the cycle doesn't always stall. You are not there.
Okay awesome I was just worried about stalling. I don't care how long it takes I just want to be sure it will cycle someday. Thank you so much for your help

Upvote 0

rojees

This is a bit out of the blue. Is it really necessary to keep dosing ammonia? like a lot of websites say keep dosing back up to 2ppm or 3ppm.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

This is a bit out of the blue. Is it really necessary to keep dosing ammonia? like a lot of websites say keep dosing back up to 2ppm or 3ppm.
I went over to your thread. I hadn't seen it before since it is in the saltwater section. Are you cycling a saltwater tank? What I know about saltwater you could fit on the tip of a pin.

I know lately waiting until the nitrites drop to zero before adding ammonia is being recommended. I don't know about other web sites. I just know what works for me and the many folks I try to help.

I recommend adding ammonia each time it gets down to or close to zero no matter the nitrite level. The amount i recommend depends on the size tank we are trying to cycle. In some cases I recommend only adding it every other day though to give the nitrite eating bacteria time to catch up.

Upvote 0

altermac

How did you get that extreme high nitrate levels around 80-120 ppm?

Planted tanks should have around 20-25 ppm nitrates optimum. 50 ppm nitrate is the legal limit for tap water in germany, 15 ppm is optimal for neocaridina breeding, 40 ppm and above is harmful corydoras species.

Maybe this high nitrate levels will also harm nitrobacter. For this bacteria it a bit like living in it's own poo. Nitrobacter consumes nitrite and excretes nitrate.

Stop adding fertilizer.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
FishGirl38
  • Question
Replies