can't take the smell

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For the first time, I'm cycling a tank with shrimp. I placed them in panty hose and put them in the tank. My tank is now a cloudy white color, and the smell is horrible. I walked down the stairs this morning and it hit me. I'm going to have to figure out another way to cyle this tank, because I can not have the house smell like this. any suggestions. BTW, My 15 gallon I cycled with fish food, and my 10 gallon was cycled with a sponge filter seeded from another tank. The smell makes me wanna

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello BrokenWing,

Do you have some spare filter media that you can seed this tank with too? If so, that is the route I'd choose. If you do, remember that the good bacteria needs a food source.

Anytime I seed a tank I add fish right away. Always be prepared for water changes just in case you don't get an instant cycle. If it isn't an instant cycle it will surely cut down the time it takes to cycle.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/please-remember-cycling-with-established-filter-media.66727/

Ken

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I'm going to add my sponge filter, and let it in there for 3 days, and see if I get some readings. I removed 2 shrimp, and have 1 small piece in there, and the smell is gone. I found something really interesting though ken. Take a look at this. Is shrimp really safe for cycling a tank.

used2bN2horsesLOL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow brokenwing, I hadn't ever seen or head that before. Makes me wish I had done the pure ammonia method. Although I red through the whole article and the info about the fungus, and feel slightly better that I have a pretty high pH and hard water.
I will no longer recommend shrimp cycling because of this information.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm in the same boat, I have high ph, and hard water, but no more will I reccomend shrimp. I currently am cyclcing with shrimp, but after finding this article, I pulled most of the shrimp, and added a seeded sponge filter.

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
brokenwing said:
For the first time, I'm cycling a tank with shrimp. I placed them in panty hose and put them in the tank. My tank is now a cloudy white color, and the smell is horrible. I walked down the stairs this morning and it hit me. I'm going to have to figure out another way to cyle this tank, because I can not have the house smell like this. any suggestions. BTW, My 15 gallon I cycled with fish food, and my 10 gallon was cycled with a sponge filter seeded from another tank. The smell makes me wanna
Can you pick up some pure ammonia? I found a quart for like $1.29 at my local grocery store. It's in the same aisle as cleaning products like bleach and Windex. Look for one that is unscented and does not contain surfactants. It should be clear and should not foam when you shake the bottle (small air bubbles that pop pretty much instantly when you set the bottle down is fine but it shouldn't foam up like soapy water.) It doesn't have to be 100% ammonia it just shouldn't contain anything other than ammonia and water. I've been using that for less than two weeks to cycle a 10 gallon and am having great results I used this article and have been following the instructions exactly and I expect it to be done in a week or two!

I don't notice any smell at all except when I open the bottle of ammonia, you don't wanna breathe that in! But my tank doesn't smell.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I used a dead shrimp in pantyhose to keep the cycle in the 37g going while the fish were out and within a day or two it was covered in white whispy mold like was mentioned in that link. It was disgusting and spread to my driftwood. Within days I had planaria for the first time. And then the smell just kept getting worse. I'm never going to use shrimp again.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads