Can't Stop This Algae. Help Please.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok. So I have an imbalance somewhere as I keep getting algae on the glass.
I did a one week black out and it slowed it down, then lightsback on and it's back.

I added more plants to see if it helps. Light only on from 4pm to 9:30pm.
20180513_203652.jpg
20180513_203648.jpg
20180513_203632.jpg

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm, I am not good with battling algae, it always wins.
Why not try a short blackout? Do you have Co2 on this tank?

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
Adding plants helps, your light on time is also on the lower side - i am assuming your water parameters look good. i am not sure of how big your tank is but if possible, you can try adding a bn pleco - it will keep it clean - else get a magnetic cleaner and it can be cleaned with couple of mins of effort daily.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tank is a Fluval Spec 3 so no other fish can be added. I usually clean algae weekly with a scrub brush made for glass. I'll get parameters later. Was dosing Thrive but stopped until this is under control. No CO2 yet.

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What i usually do is clean out the tank, scrub the sides, then set it up again, clean all of the equipment, and leave the light off while it cycles again. It usually works.

Tesla

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wish my water parameters was that good after 5-6 days of WC my tap has 10-20ppm nitrates so... anyhow back to the topic
Stopping Thrive would help but keeping it off i guess would require regular scrubbing on your part. I have the magnetic brush so it is quick work without getting dirty.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Its just diatoms. Generally with new tanks but sometimes a random outbreak will occur. Nothing you can do except wipe it off and get algae eaters. Otos and nerites love it, and so do amano's. Amanos will keep your plants and hardscape clean, otos will work on plants, glass, and hardscape, and nerites will work on glass and hardscape. Get some nerites and your glass will be clean fast.

Dosing seachem excel may also help, but it might not.

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I dose thriveS and noticed the same thing. Diatoms each time within a day of dosing. I added 3 nerites, but I think their water source may be high in silicates.

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brown algae actually will die off, or at least not grow as well, in high light scenarios believe it or not. Brown algae thrives at lower light levels, normally green algae is what happens due to high light. You could actually try getting a stronger light or increasing lighting in order to curb the problem.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I used phosphate and silicates remover for my tank that had a problem. I added mystery snails along with my otos. I recently took the phosphate and silicates remover from the filter and the algae came back. That tank gets about 2 hours of late afternoon/early evening sun

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well after a tank leaking issue I tore down the tank and low and behold the algae was actually green in some spots, not brown. Seems i had both growing in the tank. I was looking forward to adding my CO2 next week. Dang it!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom