Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Cant. Stop. Buying. Plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by toeknee, May 1, 2019.

1. toeknee Well Known Member Member

Hello all. When I set up this tank I didn't plan on going too crazy with plants. But now all I do is stare at my tank figuring out how I move things around so I can fit more plants in. I needed some red color so I just added a couple bunches of Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia, Ludwigia repens, Hygrophila pinnatifida which is currently green but hopefully I can get it to a bronzish-red color in my tank with enough co2 etc....Also added some mexican oakleaf. All the new plants are still pretty rough from shipping and adjusting. Just going to let the tank go into jungle mode before I do a big trim shaping things up a bit. Anyone have plant buying problems? I now have 22 species in this tank and it probably won't stop there.  

2. AmStatic Valued Member Member

Beautiful aquarium. Good work.

3. Brans0628 Valued Member Member

Oh, wow I love your tank!!! Good job

4. WinterSoldier. Well Known Member Member

Amazing. And yes, I love buying plants, and it is hard to stop

5. Eric S. Valued Member Member

Always haha. Sometimes it just needs to grow in, but man do I always want more species of plant.

6. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Tank looks great. Im Always buying a new plant or two too

7. toeknee Well Known Member Member

Thanks everyone, It definitely still has lots of filling in to do....always a work in progress. I'm going to attempt to not buy any new plants for awhile and just let things fill in. Although maybe some moss for the driftwood....

8. mlash New Member Member

Yes, the tank looks beautiful. I spend hours on line browsing plants and loading them into my cart. But then I can't decide which to buy first and then I end up with none! I need to just start buying one or two at a time!

9. Fishing for advice New Member Member

Wow that's a beautiful tank! When I set up mine a few months ago I never anticipated love plants so I have the typical big gravel in there with no other substrate. The guy at Petco suggested a few live plants I could throw in and I love them now. They are thriving months later and if love to add more and more varieties. Unfortunately I don't even know what they are.

About suggestions on very easy to care for plants?

10. Vishaquatics (Koiman) Well Known Member Member

Completely relate to that. The worst is when you go to a site like buceplant and just browse through. Each plant is like 5 bucks and soon the cart is like 70 or 80 dollars!

11. tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Yep. I have MTS (multiple tank syndrome) and MPS (multiple plant syndrome), LOL.

Beautiful Tank!!

12. toeknee Well Known Member Member

You should be able to grow most plants with regular gravel. In my experience the majority of plants are relatively easy as long as you have a few basics down. Root fertilizer, water column fertilizer and good lights. My tank is just regular play sand with NilocG root tabs, NilocG Thrive fertilizer, 2 Beamswork DA FSPEC LED's and a cheap DIY CO2 system that cost 25 dollars to put together. My CO2 has only been running a few weeks so I've been able to grow everything here without CO2... Pretty standard stuff. None of my plants need high lighting or are too demanding. For example some of my plants are, Hygrophila Corymbosa, Hygrophila pinnatifida, green cabomba, Myrio Green, Dwarf Saggitaria, Bronze Crypt Wendtii, Ludwigia Repens, Golden Lloydiella, Alternanthia Reineckii Roseafolia, Dwarf Lily, S.Repens, Mexican Oak Leaf, Anubius Nana and a few others I'm missing. All of these are doing fairly well in my tank are pretty undemanding.
    Same! I love Buceplant since they have one of the best online plant selections but those 5 dollars per plant prices add up! There's a few other sites I like that are a bit cheaper. Plantedaquariumcentral. com has been my go to lately.
    Thanks! I'm at the sit back and wait for things to fill in more stage. Which is tough for me since I can't stop fiddling with things in my tank. Thinking about trimming up my tallest plants today and replanting trimmings. My MPS syndrome is pretty severe....I've avoided MTS until a few weeks ago when I realized I have enough plant trimmings to scape an entire tank. I then realized I have an empty 20 long and every piece of equipment I need to get it running. So I now have a 20 long I'm currently scaping. I'll probably just put a Beta and a bunch of Kuhlie Loaches or Pygmy Corys in it to keep it simple.

13. eagledriver New Member Member

I too, am a victim of MPS. As to BucePlants, try buying those same plants at your LFS. The $5.00 BucePlants won't seem so expensive.

14. SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Get Pogostemon Helferi for the foreground. I just ordered some. : )

Those Keyholes Cichlids are really big!

You're from Vail? Wow that's quite a drive up! O_O

Love NilocG's Capsule/root tabs. You should check out About Fish here in Denver. It's a pretty good lfs...heard of it at all?

H2O plants is good, but kinda spendy now, lately...as is AquaticArts...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  15. toeknee Well Known Member Member

ooooo Pogostemon Helferi looks awesome! Might have to source some out today! Are you in Denver? That's quite a drive DOWN for me. I've been in Vail for 10 years now. I haven't been to About Fish, I've been to the Fish Den a couple times. Not a big fan, expensive and not the nicest store. Decent selection though. Otherwise I get all my fish and plants online. Besides a 2 hour drive ( sometimes much longer depending on traffic) to Denver to get to a LFS the only other pet store near me is Petco in Dillion. I actually have to go to Denver Tuesday maybe I'll check out About Fish while I'm there

16. SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

About Fish is really good. I' in Aurora actually...About fish is the best so far around here...IMO that is...

17. SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yes. Do check out About Fish. I implore you! It's really good, just north of Denver in Westminster. The shop reminds me of Aquarium Co-Op in WA...their Angels are really nice...5.0 stars for me for the store...

THE BEST in CO!