Can't seem to shake this ammonia, please help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Abbielouise1804, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Abbielouise1804

Abbielouise1804 Valued Member Member

I've been cycling my tank now for around 3/4 weeks.
    It's a 10G with 2 male guppies and 5 neon tetra (looking to rehome neons).

I've been doing daily water changes to keep levels as close to 0 for amo and nitrite.
    I change between 25% and 50% depending on reading.

However I can't seem to shake this ammonia reading having already done a 50% water change just a couple of hours ago! Really need some advice on the best course of action

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I am still getting used to this PH reading as well so did the high range one just so you could see that in case you need to.

[​IMG]

3. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

Honestly, get a bigger tank. I had a 10 g with 8 little guys in it and I could never get the ammonia down. It was a pain. Now I have a 40 g breeder and it is easier to care for. The ammonia is always near zero.

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

This method help me get cycle with fish.

If Ammonia and Nitrites are higher then 1.0. Dose Prime and Stability 2x dose. Test again in 24hrs.
    If Ammonia and Nitrites are higher then 1.0. Change 25% dose with prime and stability.

I think you might be doing to large of water changes that could be starving your BB growth.

Prime will convert harmful levels of ammonia and nitrites. Keep your fish alive through the cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I can't get a bigger tank. Live with my mother and she won't allow me to have a bigger tank, or to run a second tank, which I would have to do if I got a brand new tank.

I'm still awaiting my prime to arrive in the mail, should arrive within the next 7 days. So I can't do that yet unfortunately!

6. Koniucha

Koniucha Valued Member Member

Ok, well I think if you rehome the tetras, should be fine. A 10 g can only hold a small amount of fish.

7. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

Yeah, always regret not getting a bigger tank when I first started out!
    I got terrible advice from a local pet store who assured me it would be perfectly fine to house a black moor fancy goldfish in my 5.5 gallon tank I already had at home, unfortunately they said let it run for 1 week then put the fish in and as you can imagine... It died sadly. So first thing I did was buy a bigger tank, it looked huge to me in the store compared to the 5.5 g.

Little did I know how limited the options would be haha.

8. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

Till prime arrives daily water changes is the best you can do. Once you do prime. Remember you can go 48hrs if you need to with prime. Slow down the water changes to help BB built up. Follow my method and it will keep them alive. Atleast it has for me :)

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like your issue is with the pH that is stalling your cycle some. I believe anything lower than a 6.8 will inhibit the growth of nitrifying bacteria. Do you have a KH/GH kit? Usually if you have low pH means you have a low KH as well. You can increase it with adding crushed coral, limestone, seashells and/or cuttle bone.

Do you have any ammonia or nitrates in your water source? Are you using any kind of bacteria supplement?

10. OP
    OP
    Abbielouise1804

I don't have a KH/GH kit so unable to test that, however it says in the API booklet that if you have livebearers to use the high range PH test. When I did that it looks like 7.4 so which one do I actually go off?

Checked my tap water and don't have any ammonia or nitrates in there.
    The last 2 days after my water changes I have been using Fluval Cycle biological enhancer. Since using that is when I have finally got a reading for nitrates.

11. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I want to chime in to respectfully disagree with the comments by the above poster. Water changes will not stall your cycle per my understanding since the bacteria live mostly in the filter not the water column, but those levels of ammonia may harm your fish.

I would recommend large back to back 50% water changes to get your ammonia & nitrate levels down. Then keep up with the testing and water changes daily until you can regime the neons )good plan)

12. el337

You'd test for the high range pH if the regular pH result is at 7.6. The high range pH is at 7.4 because it's the lowest color value on that specific test. It wouldn't matter if you have livebearers or not. I think it would be a good idea to get a KH/GH test kit. Having too low of a KH can also cause a pH crash which you definitely don't want as that will kill your fish.

13. B

Bbarb27 Valued Member Member

I agree to do back to back water changes, which will reduce your ammonia and likely raise your PH, if that is stalling your cycle a bit.

14. el337

Water changes alone won't raise the pH since that's what the OP has been doing for the past month.

When pH is this low during a cycle, it's often recommended to add 1/2 tsp of baking soda as a short term fix. As mentioned, adding crushed coral, limestone, seashells, cuttlebone to your filter and/or sprinkled in the substrate will raise it naturally and keep it steady as a long term solution. You can also add Seachem Alkaline Buffer like I do for each water change. But testing the KH and GH first is a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice