Can't seem to fix this "disease"

1. christine828 Member Member

Brief history: Back in September, I got a crazy issue, disease, fungus, whatever it was in my 55 gallon tank that slowly started killing off my fish. As soon as I'd notice symptoms, I'd move them to the hospital tank but it eventually wiped out all my fish except for my gourami and 2 raphael cats. I treated the tank for parasites, fungus, you name it. I couldn't do salt because of the type of fish that were in there being sensitive to salt.

After about 2 months of the gourami and cats living without any symptoms, I tried to get more fish, within 3 days they were dead. I was convinced the parasite or whatever was still in the tank, just my other fish were immune to it.

Instead of tearing down the old tank and throwing everything out so I could add more fish eventually, I decided to move the gourami and cats to smaller tank temporarily and crank the heater up to max and add a ton of salt to kill whatever was in my tank.

After the gourami and cats were living nicely in the new tank for about a week and the old tank was baking away, I thought I should try adding a few new fish to the smaller tank, just to make sure the others weren't somehow "hiding" the disease as carriers. That was Friday, as of today, I've lost 2 otos and my pleco and the 3rd oto is on his way out.

The picture below is of the pleco, if you can make it out, you can see he has this lovely white fluffy stuff all around him, like fungus. I have given them the fungus treatments that were recommended, but I am always willing to try other things, which is why I am here. They symptoms on the pleco are very similar to the symptoms the others showed when they died before. Some looked as if they were losing their slime coat, and my corys, when i lost them they had red streaks almost like nitrite poisoning but water parameters were fine back then. There is also the fungus looking stuff growing on a plant in the tank, a fake plant that I just added.

Right now, parameters are - ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 5, ph, 7.8

Please help, I just want to enjoy my hobby again...

Attached Files:

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

How long was the tank set up before the issues started?

New or used tank?

Obviously something is causing the fish to over secrete slime coat.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry for your loss.

What was the name of the fungal medication you used?

It sort of sounds like Columnaris. Its bacterial. This infection can wipe out tanks in hours. What is the temperature of the tank?

4. christine828 Member Member

My old tank was set up for 8 months before we started having issues, it was brand new.

5. christine828 Member Member

Mela and Pima fix together. Don't know the temp, it's a heater without a control and I forgot to pick up a new thermometer. Probably mid-70's.

How could a bacterial infection last 7 months in a fish and not kill it, yet infect new fish in a tank and wipe them out in 4 days? I know fish are stressed in a new tank, but this is just weird. I'm not doubting you, I'm just confused. Do I have to keep my gourami, whom I love and have had for 2 and a half years, separate from all my other fish because he's carrying some sort of disease but it's not affecting him?