Help Can't Read My Tests

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a tough time with the slight changes in the colors of the liquid nitrite/nitrate tests! The ammonia is easy for me, I guess my eyes see green better haha. Anyway I did my tests today and I just want a 2nd opinion on where my numbers are sitting! So I'm thinking the nitrite is in between .25 and .5 and I think the nitrate is just at 0-5. But I really can't tell.
Fyi I'm about 17 days in my cycle

Do they make test pens for this? Like a pH pen? Haha I love my pH pen I hate using test strips or liquid tests it's annoying.

Attachments

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
nitrites between .25 - .5 and nitrate 0

you're close to 3 weeks, so prepare for the nitrites to get dark purple.

fishless cycle?

check the pH too.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nitrites 0.5
Nitrate 0
As you have some nitrites but very little nitrates it appears your in the middle of the cycling process. Is it a fish less cycle? If so are you feeding the bacteria with a source of ammonia.

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Skavatar @Heron sadly it's a fish in cycle. PH has been a steady 7.5-7.7 in the tank. I was a classic case of go to the pet store and tell them my tank is brand new. No cycle yet and they tell me that 5 fish and a frog isn't to many to start off a 20 gallon. Boy I'm glad I've done my research now. I'll never buy fish before the cycle again!

Ammonia has NEVER passed .25 tho. So that's good! And so what do you guys think?how long does it take once the nitrite shows up, for the nitrate to start showing up? I am using seachem stability but idk if it's doing anything after I made a post about it and had some controversy lol! Is stability going to speed up the process? I sure feel like it's helping. After 4 days in a row of using it the nitrates showed up. And before that I went about a week without using it

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never used stability so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. Every tank is different when it comes to cycling but you probably won't have to wait much longer. As you have nitrites the first bacterial colony is obviously growing. Once you start getting nitrates growing your almost there. With both types of bacteria they double in numbers every day so the cycling process speeds up towards the end. Just keep doing what your doing and once your ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have nitrates growing your done.

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've never used stability so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. Every tank is different when it comes to cycling but you probably won't have to wait much longer. As you have nitrites the first bacterial colony is obviously growing. Once you start getting nitrates growing your almost there. With both types of bacteria they double in numbers every day so the cycling process speeds up towards the end. Just keep doing what your doing and once your ammonia and nitrites are 0 and you have nitrates growing your done.
Do they literally double in numbers or is that a figure of speech? Haha no one told me that! I'm only doing tests every 2nd day. So I should do them everyday probably?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do they literally double in numbers or is that a figure of speech? Haha no one told me that! I'm only doing tests every 2nd day. So I should do them everyday probably?
Yeah. The nitrofying bacteria used in aquariums are pretty slow to get a sizable colony, taking roughly a day to double. Testing every day would definitely be a good idea, to ensure you can monitor swings in parameters quickly.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a tough time with the slight changes in the colors of the liquid nitrite/nitrate tests! The ammonia is easy for me, I guess my eyes see green better haha.
I can't help with the answer but I can sympathize with the problem. I'm terrible at matching color tone when the intensity is not the same. Rather than printed cards they should include color gel slides that can be put against the same background as the sample. That would make it much easier to match the colors.

BTW, everyone who isn't red-green color blind can see green better. The portion of the spectrum where green light lies is where most human eyes are most sensitive.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
your pH is good.

are you using Seachem Prime as well? it helps with ammonia and nitrite for up to 48hrs, so testing every 2 days is fine. do a 50% water change if nitrite test is dark purple. Prime can be overdosed up to 5x dosage when you have high ammonia or high nitrite levels.

Stability is bacteria in a bottle, so that helps speed up the nitrogen cycle.

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
your pH is good.

are you using Seachem Prime as well? it helps with ammonia and nitrite for up to 48hrs, so testing every 2 days is fine. do a 50% water change if nitrite test is dark purple. Prime can be overdosed up to 5x dosage when you have high ammonia or high nitrite levels.

Stability is bacteria in a bottle, so that helps speed up the nitrogen cycle.
Skavatar shouts out to you man, your helping me all over the place! I really appreciate it man. I owe you one and I am using prime! So yea that makes sense to test the water the day I need to add prime again. One thing I noticed the bottle of prime doesn't really specify how much ammonia/nitrite it's detoxifying. I think it's up to 1ppm at normal does tho right?

Jeezusjuiicee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't help with the answer but I can sympathize with the problem. I'm terrible at matching color tone when the intensity is not the same. Rather than printed cards they should include color gel slides that can be put against the same background as the sample. That would make it much easier to match the colors.

BTW, everyone who isn't red-green color blind can see green better. The portion of the spectrum where green light lies is where most human eyes are most sensitive.
Dude that would be a good idea for sure!

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Skavatar shouts out to you man, your helping me all over the place! I really appreciate it man. I owe you one and I am using prime! So yea that makes sense to test the water the day I need to add prime again. One thing I noticed the bottle of prime doesn't really specify how much ammonia/nitrite it's detoxifying. I think it's up to 1ppm at normal does tho right?
in the FAQ section https://www.seachem.com/prime.php
"When should I use the emergency dose of 5 x the recommended amount of Prime®?
A: If your ammonia or nitrite levels are above 2 ppm, you can safely use up to 5 x the recommended amount."

Top Bottom