Can't keep snails alive in one of my tanks

AndyP

I have a 55 gallon tank that just kills snails. Any snail I put in there has their shell go completely white and is dead in 24 hours.

Parameters:

pH 6.8
KH 60
GH 120
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40 ppm.

I've done a 75% water change and then added snails the next day, and they still end up dead 24 hours later.

I know the kH and pH is a little low, but I don't think it's low enough to kill snails in a day. I threw a bunch of Ramshorn snails in there on Saturday and they were all dead by Sunday.

In the tank are neon tetras, tiger barbs, and zebra danios and a ghost shrimp, so I don't think I have any animals that would eat the snails.

flopperfrog

AndyP said:
I have a 55 gallon tank that just kills snails. Any snail I put in there has their shell go completely white and is dead in 24 hours.

Parameters:

pH 6.8
KH 60
GH 120
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40 ppm.

I've done a 75% water change and then added snails the next day, and they still end up dead 24 hours later.

I know the kH and pH is a little low, but I don't think it's low enough to kill snails in a day. I threw a bunch of Ramshorn snails in there on Saturday and they were all dead by Sunday.

In the tank are neon tetras, tiger barbs, and zebra danios and a ghost shrimp, so I don't think I have any animals that would eat the snails.
try bladder snails. those suckers survive anything. had a couple in my tank when the ammonia was like 5 and they were perfectly fine

AndyP

Bladder snails are dead too. The bottom of the tank is littered with white snail shells.

Something else to mention. My substrate is Black Diamond blasting sand, which is iron silicate.
I think it may be the substrate. It seems that snails and slugs are sensitive to silicates, and black diamond blasting sand is iron silicate.

AggressiveAquatics

What fish do you have? They could be killing them

SotaAquatics

Are you running high levels of CO2 in that tank?

AndyP

No CO2 in the tank.

Fish are:

Neon tetras
Tiger Barbs
Zebra Danios

Pretty sure it's the substrate. As I said in a previous post, I am using Black Diamond blasting sand, which is iron silicate. Silicates can be toxic to snails and slugs.

Nate32

AndyP said:
No CO2 in the tank.

Fish are:

Neon tetras
Tiger Barbs
Zebra Danios

Pretty sure it's the substrate. As I said in a previous post, I am using Black Diamond blasting sand, which is iron silicate. Silicates can be toxic to snails and slugs.
I have black diamond blasting media in my shrimp tank with assassins and bladder snails and haven't seen any die besides the bladders being consumed by the assassins. The media has been used in a setup before for around a year before I setup the tank for inverts though. Is it fairly new blasting sand?

AndyP

Nate32 said:
I have black diamond blasting media in my shrimp tank with assassins and bladder snails and haven't seen any die besides the bladders being consumed by the assassins. The media has been used in a setup before for around a year before I setup the tank for inverts though. Is it fairly new blasting sand?
It's been in the tank for over a year. But I have not been able to keep snails alive in this tank since I first set it up.

Nate32

AndyP said:
It's been in the tank for over a year. But I have not been able to keep snails alive in this tank since I first set it up.
Hmmmmm. I'm no expert by no means but I'd look into any meds that may have been used in the tank before, maybe even check your tank water and water supply for copper. Copper can and will kill inverts very quickly. I would think that silicates would leach out at a very slow rate at this point unless it wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough at the beginning. Deep bed vacuuming could help if that's the case. Would take numerous times though and may affect beneficial bacteria.

AndyP

Nate32 said:
Hmmmmm. I'm no expert by no means but I'd look into any meds that may have been used in the tank before, maybe even check your tank water and water supply for copper. Copper can and will kill inverts very quickly. I would think that silicates would leach out at a very slow rate at this point unless it wasn't rinsed thoroughly enough at the beginning. Deep bed vacuuming could help if that's the case. Would take numerous times though and may affect beneficial bacteria.
I am tearing this tank down in 2 weeks and moving it into another room. I will then replace the blasting sand with Flourite and a plenum.

This question is more a curiosity than anything else.

SotaAquatics

Yeah, it is very curious. The fact that it is turning their shells white and killing them in 24 hours is what's really getting me. As well as that your ghost shrimp is perfectly fine. Typically black diamond blasting sand is aquarium safe for all livestock, I have never heard of it killing shrimp or other inverts before.

LurkingontheReg

I have BDBS in my Neon Tetra tank. There's a Nerite and a handful or two of MTS in there. I've never seen anything like what you're describing.

Debbie1986

The fact that it is turning their shells white and killing them in 24 hours is what's really getting me.
I'd take the water to be tested.

it sounds like your home kit maybe missing something?

my snails were getting white shells over time ( weeks) until I started treating the water with a PH buffer. We have extra soft water here and nothing was working.

since you're breaking the tank down, IMO - I'd clean everything with aquarium salt and then rinse clean 2-3x so nothing lingers.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom