Can't identify floating plant

1. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

I bought this floating plant at PetCo a few weeks back along with what I'm pretty sure is pennywort. I can't identify it and was hoping someone might know what it is. It is doing well and is growing hanging roots. I wanted to make sure it is in fact a floating plant and not something that would do better planted in the substrate.

IMG_5859.jpg IMG_5857.jpg

2. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

A ludwigia-species ?
    Not a floater to my believe.

3. atc84 Well Known Member Member

yeah that's ludwigia, not sure on the species though. It does need a substrate. :)

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, ludwigia. One of my favorites.

5. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks all. I have another ludwigia that must be a different species already planted. I'll plant these and see how they do.

6. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

looks like a bacopa species to me. Well actually almost certain

7. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

I assume the roots that have grown along the plant will go away after it has been planted for a while? This worked out perfect I was able to plant these where the last of my fake plants were located. I'm now 100% real.

Looking at some other pictures and descriptions it may be bacopa of some sort. Either way it is not a floating plant.

8. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

9. atc84 Well Known Member Member

ouch, sorry for giving you the wrong information! I need to review my plant species again. xD

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I pushed you the wrong way !!!!

11. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

No problem. It just let's me know there will be some trial and error when it comes to the plant side of the hobby. I hope not so much on the fish side. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Kindafishy Well Known Member Member

Bacopa, Ludwigia and many other stem plants shoot out those root-like projections even when they are planted, So, they'll likely stay there. I think they are kind of ugly, but I just remind myself they are part of nature.

13. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

bacopa only seems to do it when left floating

14. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

They do it when they are growing laterally, whether flat against the substrate (primarily in emersed setups) or lateral beneath the surface of the water.

15. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

The fish seem to like pecking around in them so I guess that's a plus.