Can't I ever get a fish without problems? : (

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've noticed a few things wrong today with all my new bettas. Blue one is bein taken care of. Her stomach is bulging a lot. I'm assuming constipation (she was probably like that when I got her, I just didnt notice) so I'm giving her the pea treatment. She likes them luckily. Not like Satin.

Red and White are worrying me some more. Red has some obvious fungus growing on her "chin". With White its harder to tell. I think she might have the same as red but its hard to see because, well, she's white. I have a five or ten gallon tank that I could put both of them in. Should I quarantine them separetely or since I'll probably be treating them for the same thing can I keep them together. Neither of them is the aggressor in the tank and they get along well. Tell me what you think. I'm probably gonna treat with pimafix.

What does everyone think. Is it ok to put them into an uncycled tank to treat them? Or should I treat them in the tank that they are in and just have all the other fish get unneeded treatment? I need help on this one guys.

... and I thought treating one fish in a tank by himself was hard...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pimafix is an herbal treatment that would not hurt the other fish at all. Leave them in the cycled tank. If they are having problems, I doubt that they could handle the uncycled tank being babies and all. They are going to be sensitive enough to the Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate thing just because of their age, let alone being sick. Just in case slowly raise the temperature to 85 and leave it there for the 14 days. They have been in containers at the LFS right? That means cool water and ich is a cool water disease. Just in case it is ich lets raise the temperature and treat for Ich that way instead of using another Ich med Just the Pimafix and the raised temperature and watch the water parameters really closely.

I am so sorry that they are ill. Let us know how they are doing along okay?

Rose

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
They actually had them in tanks (cuz they were females I guess) and I believe they were heated. Ich is like tiny dots right? I dont really see that. I guess it cant hurt to raise the temp, but will it be ok for my other fish? Will the rasboras and the cories be able to take water that hot?

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
its never nice to have sick fish! the female with the bulging stomach could just be ready to spawn, their stomachs get very big, almost like they swallowed a pea - its all the eggs in there. as for the others, its best to follow the advice thats been given.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The other fish should be ok with the high temp but I might remove the sick Bettas to make sure the disease doesn't spread to the others...

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Quarantine them together. I am hoping the tank is cycled. They won't need to be fighting off a cycling process while they are trying to get well.

I still think they are beautiful.

I think I would be tempted to raise the temperature on the whole tank as a preventative measure now that there is a fungal infection that they have all been exposed to. Maybe you can keep the parasites from settling on the other fish entirely.

Rose

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
The quarantine tank isnt cycled. Its probably best to keep them in the community and just treat all of the fish. Treating all the fish will probably (hopefully) prevent them from getting infected. I guess I should always have a cycled quarantine tank on hand.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just get a sponge filter or a small filter like a Duetto mini and put in your tank with the other one (The Duetto is small and can be totally submerged and will run either horizontally or vertically, but the best bet is still to have a sponge filter bubbling away in the background of the tank. Then you can just take it and put it into the quarantine tank when you need it in a hurry. They also do not add a lot of movement to the water to throw the fish around.

Rose

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks 0morrokh but too late... ordered one last night online. Six bucks... not to bad.

I was just looking at your tank info. Can you seriously tell your cories apart? I wish I could so I could name them.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup I can tell my Cories apart. It's pretty hard though--I can't just glance in and name them all, I have to look at them for a moment. I had to watch them all for like a week, and rename a few when I found I could no longer tell who a certain fish was, but now I know who's who. I found it helpful to give them descriptive names, even if they are a little cheesy. You have to look for tiny differences--like, Darkeyes has a patch of brown over the eyes, a darker overall body color, the black stripe down the middle is broken in one place, and he's medium-sized and not fat but not skinny. It took a long time for me to figure that all out though. You know, if you didn't want to spend hours trying to find little differences, you could always just give them general names, even if you didn't know which name belonged to which fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom