Can't Grow Rotala Rotundifolia!

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Culprit, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I have a planted tank with a finnex stingray. I have rotala rotundifolia planted in flourite with an extensive root system. I dose seachem comprehensive once a week at 1.6 mL. The rotala constantly has hair algea on it and the bottom leaves are brown and holey and the top is stunted and white. What am I doing wrong? Everything else is growing really well.

My ozelot sword, s. repens, dwarf sag, hydrocotyle sp japan, water sprite, and flame moss is growing like a charm.

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Please post a picture so more people can look at what you have. but it sounds to me like you need a 2nd Stingray to get a better light spread for the bottom leaves of the Rotala, fertilizers (Macro and Micro) to green up your plants, and some CO2 for the white leaves.

3. OP
    OP
    Culprit

the stingray is right over them so more light wouldn't do anything. I have flourish comprehensive with is micro. I'm not dosing macros but I'm thinking I might get some nilocg thrive. I think I'm going to try a citric acid Co2 setup but start with yeast.

I don't have a diffuser, can I put the output under my filter so it pulverises my bubbles for diffusion? I don't have a drop checker either but will soon.

4. dcutl002

I put my diffuser under my intake. If you do not have a drop checker you can just take a pH reading...its quicker anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    Culprit

So do you have an actualy diffuser or do you just put the hose under your intake so the bubbles get pulverised. Does this work?

6. dcutl002

For my Betta tank, I have a diffuser placed directly under the intake.

I have two 55 gallon tanks with DIY inline reactors and a 35 gallon with an inline diffuser.

I have tried it all.

7. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Can you make a homemade diffuser?

Isn't it @Silister Trench who makes diffusers by shoving a stick in the end?

8. Silister Trench

Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Literally! Haha! I've taken chopsticks and just cut them down and shaved one end at an angle, or just plain sticks outside. Chopsticks are one of the best diffusers I've ever had!

A chopstick inserted into a homemade Co2 reactor running 2bps is how I nearly gassed my fish one day - that's how well they work.

No fish were harmed...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. dcutl002

How does that work? Do you shove the chopstick into the CO2 hose?

10. Silister Trench

I'd guess either a lighting issue first, then acclimation second. Where does Rotala sit in comparison to the other plants that are doing well?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  11. Silister Trench

Yup, simple as that! Take the narrow end of the chopstick and jam it into the Co2 line, then leave about 2" of chopstick visible, then at about halfway sof the visible portion shave the chopstick at a 30 degree angle or so. Doesn't have to be precise. The narrow passages in the wood make very fine bubbles as the pressure builds behind it and forces it through the structure.

12. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Not 100% sure about this but stunted, white new growth sounds like iron deficiency. Can you post a picture?

13. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Not very well. Its growing far slower then everything else. For instance my repens completely died off when I did the meds for ich and its already leafed out very well. The sprite and hydrocotyle grow like weeds. Lighting issue? I thought the stingray would be enough. Plus the fact its more towards the back of the tank where the rotala is. This is because of the versa-tops black hinge down the middle.

Sure! Its also the only plant with hair algea on it... The sword has some diatoms but that's just because of the new sand I put in.
    P1040588.JPG P1040589.JPG P1040590.JPG P1040591.JPG P1040592.JPG

14. Silister Trench

Honestly, I'm not 100% positive on this one. Your plants in poor health - says the hair algae. I usually only see the brown hair algae in areas of higher light and poor balance. With that red flourite the only deficiencies you should see are Macro nutrients, but that's not whats going on.

I'd try moving some of the plants into different locations in your tank to see if there's an improvement. Could be the meds nuked them like your S. Repens, and their location with the lighting/flow isn't allowing them to bounce back?

Like, I said, I don't really know the answer on this one but one thing for sure is they're not working as is, so switch it up. Some of the growth on your plants still look like pre-acclimation growth, so usually the leafs on these parts aren't going to get healthier, but the plant should lose them as it adapts and grows shoots.

Some of the plants hidden real far in the back behind objects are probably not getting good light, which could be a combo between the meds snuffing them and lower light conditions not allowing for them to bounce back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice